PDA

View Full Version : Zinger keeps shutting off

Arrant
03-05-2016, 05:21 PM
Hello and thank you in advance for any help I can get. I have 2 86 4 zingers that keep shutting off after riding hard for about 20 seconds in a straight line. They will start right back up. Both of them have new top ends. They both have uni air filters and the oil injection has been eliminated.I checked the jets and they are stock. The main is a 90. One has aftermarket exhaust and the other seems louder than it should be so was probably gutted. From my experience it seems like they are overheating. Does this sound possible? I mixed the oil at 32:1 and have the air screws 1.5 to 2.0 turns out. The fuel caps are new as well. Would a spark plug do this? I'm lost on this one and greatly appreciate and help...

Arran

jonolanracin
03-06-2016, 12:41 AM
Sounds to me like the float height may be to low . i think if they were overheating they would be hard to restart

350for350
03-06-2016, 11:20 AM
If your mains are stock size and you have an aftermarket/gutted exhaust, you're probably running lean. You should play with the jetting.

Arrant
03-06-2016, 01:13 PM
Sounds to me like the float height may be to low . i think if they were overheating they would be hard to restart

I was thinking that could be a possibility. If your running it hard and it uses more fuel and not letting the proper amount in, It would be like running out of gas which is exactly what it seems like. Do you know what the height is supposed to be on these? Thanks for the help

Arrant
03-06-2016, 01:16 PM
If your mains are stock size and you have an aftermarket/gutted exhaust, you're probably running lean. You should play with the jetting.

I was also thinking this could be a possibility. When I raced motocross if my bike was running lean in a long moto it would eventually shut off. when I pulled the head I would always find gouges in the cylinder head. I read a post about proper carb tuning earlier. Looks like I'm going to have to learn to do it the right way.

I appreciate the reply. Thank you

jonolanracin
03-06-2016, 04:53 PM
Dont really how tell you how low just drop it a bit if you think its the problem and make sure your fuel line is not collapsing between this and maybe jetting that should work . have you checked color of spark plug to see if its to lean ?