PDA

View Full Version : Helmet suggestions please

Georgiabii
03-08-2016, 06:56 PM
Need to get a helmet for the local riding Spots. Any suggestions for one that is light weight and not to hot in a southern summer?

Thanks

SamT
03-08-2016, 10:02 PM
When I did hard riding in the past I used a football helmet. Im sure there is pics floating the net of me riding a 200x in the sand dunes wearing a football helmet (2003 ish) it was great for me because I was used to the helmet and wearing it in the heat.

jb2wheels
03-08-2016, 10:48 PM
I love my AFX FX17: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/29835/i/afx-fx-17-freedom-helmet

jeswinehart
03-08-2016, 11:06 PM
Open face for me trail riding. I see you have in profile you are riding a bigred. Don't reckon you are trying mx or setting speed records with that,,,, I never did on mine either.
john

Georgiabii
03-09-2016, 03:23 AM
Open face for me trail riding. I see you have in profile you are riding a bigred. Don't reckon you are trying mx or setting speed records with that,,,, I never did on mine either.
john

Nope but the parks near me require a helmet. Personally I don't tend to wear one when just trail riding but better to follow the rules than get evicted!

barnett468
03-09-2016, 03:53 AM
any helmet will be hot in the summer

the standard shoeis are lighter than the standard bell helmets . carbon fiber or kevlar is the lightest.

see if you like anything here.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2055845.m570.l1311.R1.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xmo torcycle+helmet.TRS0&_nkw=motorcycle+helmets&_sacat=0

scroll down and see some bells and daytonas . the daytonas are lighter than the shoeis because they are crap, and the foam is a little thin, but they are fairly cheap and one of the lighter glass helmets.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=motorcycle+helmets&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR5.TRC2.A0.H0.Xopen+f ace+motorcycle+helmets.TRS0&_nkw=open+face+motorcycle+helmets&_sacat=0

arlaunch
03-09-2016, 12:26 PM
I have found that the ones that look good may not feel that good.

I would recommend a comfortable brain bucket. That might cost $25 or 250?

Some guys were a skull cap inside the helmet.

I am one of those.

It is a light cotton/poly cap that you can wash in the evening after a ride.

It keeps the sweat from caking up on your helmet.

ironchop
03-09-2016, 02:08 PM
I have found that the ones that look good may not feel that good.

I would recommend a comfortable brain bucket. That might cost $25 or 250? ....

This is most important in my opinion. I've been burned buying boots and helmets both online only to find they don't fit me right or hurt to wear.

I got a Fulmer in the garage somewhere that cost me over $200+ shipped a few years ago and the cheek pads smashed my face up too much and the front was giving me a headache to wear because my head was too long for the size I need while the next size up was too loose. I think they have interchangeable pads but that would be even more $$$

I ended up at a local Stealership and kept trying on helmets till in found one to fit my odd shaped head. Its a FLY brand and it was on sale for $130.

Sent from my Z998 using Tapatalk

Griller3Wheeler
03-09-2016, 03:13 PM
I recommend buying them in person and not online that is for sure. You should try it on before you buy it.

derrick81787
03-24-2016, 01:47 PM
Somebody gave me an open faced motorcycle helmet that has a visor that can be opened and closed. I think it's a good combo. I keep the visor opened 90% of the time, but I can close it in the woods with no trail (I ride it around my property a lot) to avoid catching a tree branch to the eye.