PDA

View Full Version : NEED HELP 1985 Honda 250es trike won't shift!

Donnyjohn
03-10-2016, 10:44 PM
Hey new here and kind of new to trikes. I have a 1985 Honda 250es. The trike runs mint. I was running it all day not a single problem. First gear was iffy sometimes it would catch other times it wouldn't so I just stayed out of 1St gear. Well as I was riding the shifter ended up sticking down. I got it back up and it worked perfect again no problem. An hour later I lose all gears. When I move the shifter up and down it makes a click sound but nothing happens. Every once in a while it will catch a gear. But then it let's go again and it's like there's nothing. My guess it's a shift fork. But I'm not sure. I heard some people say they have had problems with there shifter sticking down sometimes. But never this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 228861

johnnytrikes
03-11-2016, 09:06 AM
I recently had the exact same issue, my thought is the same, bent shift fork. I haven't pulled the motor apart yet to see but it is pretty much a full tear down to replace shift fork. I plan on doing a full rebuild since its coming apart. If could can find a motor with a good bottom end you can just swap the top end and you won't have to split the cases... just a thought

gimmeamidget
03-11-2016, 11:24 AM
Change the oil before tearing the motor apart. Mine did the exact same thing on a very well taken care of 250sx and once I put fresh oil in it shifted well for an hour then started sticking again. Changed the oil again and has been great for over a year shifting like new. I know it sounds corny and hard to believe but try it before tearing down I think you will be surprised.

midsouthtrikes
03-11-2016, 07:29 PM
I can't figure out how to post the link. I had an issue a few years ago like that. In the search box type " need help with 87 big red 250"
It explains how I fixed mine.