PDA

View Full Version : 1st timer restoring a Honda 110ATC, Step 1: Please help me get it running!

benoitdan2
03-12-2016, 03:26 PM
Well, this looks like the place to be for this sort of thing. Thanks in advance to all who help! I know I need it.

I got this trike with the intention of getting it running, playing with it for a few months, restoring it and reselling it. Even if I break even, I still got to see what all the fuss is about ;)

I'm new to this, but I've always been mechanically inclined so I hope not to be TOO hard to coach. I'm about to go take some pictures of it, is there anywhere on there I should be looking for stamps/numbers to help you guys know what I'm working with?

So here's the deal: Got it home, replaced the pull cord, turned it over a bit and nothing. Took the plug out (18mm plug socket... Really? That was new lol), cylinder is getting gas, plug is fouled. New plug, gapped and installed, still no spark. Checked gap on... umm... The part behind the "CDI" cover, the spark maker lol, put it in gear, pushed it a little, nothin... The exhaust sounds "strokey", by that I mean that all the bits and pieces seem to be doing their part, I'm looking at getting a compression tester as that seems to be more accurate than my ears...

I'd like to know where I should be going on this thing. Should I just go ahead and buy new ignition parts? (From what I can tell it would cost me less than $50 to replace everything between the stator and the cylinder.) I have a multitester with a clamp-on ammeter and I know (kinda) how to use it, so if there are any parts that I can test, I'd like to give that a try.

Thanks again for the help and I'm so happy that there's a forum for everything on the internet! :cool:

jhonz
03-12-2016, 08:31 PM
Welcome to the forum!
That thing looks pretty clean, nice find.
To answer one of your questions there should be a sticker above the front top motor mount above the spark maker*..if not then the vin number is located on the neck behind the headlight[emoji106] 228948

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

jhonz
03-12-2016, 08:40 PM
I would start by making sure all of your contacts/connectors are clean, open up your kill switch, clean all contacts inside and go from there. . This has worked for me more times than not.

benoitdan2
03-13-2016, 06:10 PM
I'm becoming more and more concerned about this project of mine lol. So here's where I'm at:

It's an 82, the year I was born!

Took apart and cleaned the kill/run switch - No Go

Read through the electrical section in the manual and started poking around a little. I disconnected the CDI and the connections are extremely dirty with green corrosion

Also troubling is what I found under the CDI cover...
That can't be good

And this looks like it could use a good polish, no doubt that broken spring has been bouncing around in there for a while.

Looks like I have some work ahead...

jhonz
03-13-2016, 06:18 PM
Bad connections indeed! Better than some, worse than others! Pretty typical with something that old and neglected.. wouldn't be as satisfying when she purrs otherwise[emoji106]

jhonz
03-13-2016, 06:19 PM
Btw I didn't say "just" the kill switch..I said allll connections. .. [emoji6]