PDA

View Full Version : 1987 Honda ATC 125M

Thejohnreyes
03-14-2016, 12:21 AM
Tonight I purchased my very first 3-wheeler, a 1987 Honda ATC 125M. I paid $300 for it. It needs some work. The top end needs to be rebuilt as it smokes a little. It needs new brakes as well. Cosmetically it is so so, but it seems to be all there. I don't really care about the negatives as I'm on cloud 9 right now. It runs and it's all mine. I've never rode much less owned an atv or motorbike of an kind. This is all new to me. I've already gotten my first injury by smashing my knee trying to unload the thing down some ramps. As s newbie, two questions come to mind. 1. Did I get fleeced? I hope $300 was a fair price. 2.I can not figure out how to get it out of neutral. I've figured out how to start it, turn on the lights, and give it some gas, but I'm lost on how to shift it. Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance. Once Ican figure out how to post pictures of my Honda, I will.

BarnBoy
03-14-2016, 08:36 PM
Welcome to the forum. You will be able to find lots of help on here. In response to your first question, I don't think so. These are not too common, so it sounds like an ok price but it's hard to tell without seeing it. As to your second question, on the left side of the bike there is a lever coming out of the engine near the foot peg. To shift you move it down to shift out of neutral and into a higher gear, and up to shift into a lower gear. It may have the opposite shift pattern on this bike, but most Honda's shift like I described. Here is a link to what the shift lever looks like.

http://www.ghdiscountatvsupply.com/honda-200es-250es-250sx-big-red-gear-shift-lever-free-u-s-shipping/

86125m
03-14-2016, 10:01 PM
the 87 125m shifts up to get into gear then down to get out of gear.