PDA

View Full Version : Is it legal to...

Caminofeld
03-25-2016, 10:01 PM
Hey guys, I've been wanting to post some bugout practice vids where I ride off the bed of my truck into my range and engage targets with a machete, LH pistol, and then kneeling with an AR using the ATC as cover/walking crouched beside the moving ATC while engaging targets. I've heard mixed reports of whether this would be legal and would appreciate any input. I'm on my own land, >150 yds from any public road, and shooting into a tall hill.

Also, would keeping a spare CDI in a faraday bag make my '85 200x or '86 350x useable after an EMP?

onformula1
03-25-2016, 10:26 PM
I would check your local ordinance to be sure, I have a buddy that practices legally out here using his truck as cover, just be careful he got a bit overzealous recently and shot out his trucks taillight. :lol:

The bag should work, but you could wrap it in aluminum foil & aluminum tape first for extra projection.

You can also make a toolbox out of a old, dead, small microwave to keep things in.

ironchop
03-25-2016, 10:37 PM
Also, would keeping a spare CDI in a faraday bag make my '85 200x or '86 350x useable after an EMP?

Yes. Anything with solid state electronics throw in a Faraday cage and its supposed to be fine. I was going to make one out of a surplus .50 BMG can to toss my red dot sights and LED flashlights in it JIC.

If I'm wrong nobody will know anyway because the internet will be broken [emoji1]

As far as simulating zombie attacks in your own yard, I'm not sure what's legal in your state.

You don't want a crossbow and a Triumph chopper do you? Might suck to ride one of those off the back of a truck.

Sent from my Z998 using Tapatalk

Caminofeld
03-26-2016, 12:11 AM
Haha thanks, it would def. suck to bottom out a chopper…even in grass…

Ironchop, they now sell Faraday bags for super cheap on ebay (between 10 and 20 bux). Would def. be worth a gander…just worried that they're not gonna work. After all, who's gonna complain after the grid is down?

atc007
03-26-2016, 07:31 AM
Hey guys, I've been wanting to post some bugout practice vids where I ride off the bed of my truck into my range and engage targets with a machete, LH pistol, and then kneeling with an AR using the ATC as cover/walking crouched beside the moving ATC while engaging targets. I've heard mixed reports of whether this would be legal and would appreciate any input. I'm on my own land, >150 yds from any public road, and shooting into a tall hill.

Damn,I guess the back is doing better..... :)

Mosh
03-26-2016, 09:05 AM
It is hard to tell what your local laws are, so you should research that yourself. However in many areas, discharging a firearm from a vehicle is illegal on any public land. Riding off the back of a pickup truck with a atv, armed with a 2 foot machete, loaded guns, sounds like a disaster waiting to happen even without the weapons.

Now the prepping, bugout, and tactical moves are something that are definately productive for discussion. I watch all sorts of people, that put too much faith in shelters, 3 years worth of food stores and prepping that anchors them in a confined area to defend. Anything gasoline powered is a burden IMO. If SHTF, availability for that stuff will be limited, and far more of a compromise to obtain than its worth. A simple steel 10 gallon trash can makes a great farady storage unit. IMO, being mobile with multiple stashs in strategic locations, of ammo, first aid, small marked bills, primtive tools like knives, axes, simple tool kits, paracord, tarps in a remote area you know well enough to source water and simple foods while staying mobile are going to be keys to success. Learn how to make fire out of nothing..It was mankinds first step to technology and will be again in a situation like that. Zombies, yeah they will be around. Mostly within the first week they loose electric and cell phone service..But should fall off quickly.

These guys that have 10 years of food and ammo and bunkers will eventually fall under attack and eventually find themselves far outnumbered to make a stand. Think Rambo in the first movie, and the way native indians lived, and a ability to get to the least populated area is far more survival prone than trying to make a stand in population with stash of stuff you could never take with you if you have to retreat. Sure, guns and bows and arrows have there merits, but surviveability comes with versatility to move and be adaptable to primitive living with minimal tools and survival techniques. Plus the less you appear to have, the less people will seek you out. They cant steal your primitive survival knowledge, nor will most want it as they will be after the comforts of modern living for whats left. Good pocket reference books for living off the land, plant and animal identifications and first aid knowledge and a sharp knife trump all..YMMV..

ironchop
03-26-2016, 11:42 AM
I spent about that much on the first one i made.

I dug out the rubber seal on the can, sanded underneath there down to bare metal, sanded the rim of the can too, stuffed #00 steel wool down into the rubber seal channel good and tight, taped everything inside cardboard to keep the items from touching the bottom or sides of the can.

I didn't want to spend a whole bunch of time or money on it either because I rely on iron sights and conventional scopes more than anything. I did it because it would be nice to have my reflex sight, LED lights, and night vision if I could but its not life threatening by any means.

Mosh those are valid points. I agree the best method is conflict avoidance and being "grey" or inconspicuous. I also agree that your plan should reflect where you intend to bug in or bug out. City or suburb dwelling offers lots of challenges compared to dwelling out in the countryside. City dwellers would probably lean heavily to bugging out whereas country folks can try and ride it out in place (but should still have an escape plan too)

I fell into that whole buying guns and gear stockpiling crap before I read that book. After that, I downsized significantly (about 60%). I also took lessons on traditional wood bow making and flintknapping, simple tools, sustainable organic small scale agriculture, and plant medicine.

Its a difficult balance to strike but I try to lean toward "less is more" but also have enough to make a reasonable defense of persons and/or for possible barter for other goods.

Caminofeld
03-27-2016, 09:13 AM
Damn,I guess the back is doing better..... :)

Better-yes, as good as before-no…but I've been easing into some local trails and getting back to the gym. It's weird how after absorbing some impact and doing intense physical activity I actually feel better. I suppose it's getting my body warm and loose combined with endorphins…seems to help with my spinal compression issues and overall stiffness. I've also been trying to do calisthenics and stretch every morning as well. Sucks getting old!

Caminofeld
03-27-2016, 09:30 AM
Riding off the back of a pickup truck with a atv, armed with a 2 foot machete, loaded guns, sounds like a disaster waiting to happen even without the weapons.

I've actually done it a few times in the past with no issues other than a mild bottom-out when dropping onto flat concrete. Basically, if things seem like they're going bad (riots, MCI's, etc) I'll most likely be called into work…which means I'd have to get from Baltimore to PA if things got really bad. I always keep a small BOB with me that I could improv with in a pinch, but if I had any hint of SHTF being possible I'd bring my 3 day pack and lock my 350x in the bed of my truck. If the roads get blocked, I would attempt to buzz up the hike/bike trail that runs from a few miles from work to almost my back yard. Aside from having some fun, I like to occasionally practice quickly exiting my vehicle, firing up the trike, and GTFO…although I suppose bringing a ramp would be pretty easy too lol...

Although I like the idea of keeping safe by being nomadic, I just don't think it would work very well with small children unless absolutely necessary. My plan is to make sure I can always at least get home. At that point, I can gather my family and figure out the best plan based on the scenario. Fortunately all of my surrounding neighbors and I are friends and really most of the decent people in my town all know each other pretty well. I've even spoken to quite a few of them about SHTF situations and they all are on board with forming a small community to share resources and for protection….best part is that most of them thought this way long before I said anything.