PDA

View Full Version : Reloaders out there?

AK47KID
03-29-2016, 10:55 PM
Any ammo reloaders out there? I got a complete reloading set for Christmas and was wondering what/how you had your bench set up. I have a big bench that my deceased grandfather used for wood working and it would be nice to repurpose the bench for reloading. (He did this a couple times before I was born so I don't know what he used in his set up which was shot gun reloading set by Lyman ) pics of your set up would be appreciated. I have an uncle and a family friend that reload but i want to make the reloading perfectly set out on the table.

P.s. the set is still in the box...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Mosh
03-30-2016, 06:28 AM
I mounted my press to a 2x8 treated plank and C clamp it to whatever table or bench I prefer to use. I need the portability and that is having 900 sq feet shop. I dont need extra clutter. I have everything transportable. I mounted my powder thrower bracket on a 4x6. I store everything in a steel cabinet. I use folgers coffee cans to store my bullets. I keep my primer in a clothe storage cabinet across the shop away from the powder. I use heavy duty 3x5 postcard containers to store processed brass, and I have spent brass in coffee creamer containers. Everything is clearly marked so anyone could figure out my system.

I dont like to leave the stuff just open in a basement or shop. The hard coponents tend to rust if left out. I don't like having powders or primers in any type of environment that could fall into unwanted hands or be exposed to sparks or flames.
A pretty reload bench like you see some pics of is great and Ideal for sure, but you almost have to have a nice room and no kids around.
The only thing I dont like about my way, is it takes about 30 minutes of setup time, but I only grab the items I will use for that session, which eliminates the possibilities of errors, such as wrong primers, powders or bullet weights being used by mistake.

With 223-5.56 I generally will proccess 200 or so peices of brass at a time. Resisze, tumble, then trim. That way loading is simple as primers, and powder throwing and bullet seating.

I also have a Lyman case prep center with trimmer dies and RCBS military crimp remover. I am able to prep hundreds of rounds of 223 within 1 hour. It is a must if you plan on bulk rifle round reloading, unless you want to spend 2 hours to trim and prep 50 rounds by hand.

Thorpe
03-30-2016, 08:38 AM
I run all rcbs stuff with the exception of a few Hornady dies mixed in... I have a 8 foot bench in my basement, so everything is inside and in conditioned air. (Very nice in MN!) My best suggestion while learing, is read, read, read... Read your manual, buy another manual to be able to compare "printed" data. I keep the Speer and Hornady books on my bench for reference. While Internet data can be good, stick to published data until you truly understand what you are doing. Ultrasonic cleaner, tumbler loaded with corn and case polish, rcbs case prep station, and a cronograph are all features I have added to my Rock Chucker kit, and are all extremely helpful tools....

plastikosmd
03-31-2016, 05:13 AM
My setup, 2 Dillon 550s on a 6 ft bench, a rockchucker for resize or trimming, setup with a Dillon trimmer and a separate 50 caliber Dillon progressive bolted to floor

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j5/plastikosmd/reloading/e8ae025222519d370707f464dc40f6cf_zps5a231de3.jpg

El Camexican
03-31-2016, 07:32 AM
Thanks for this tread. More reassurance that this guy could never happen in America :)

AK47KID
03-31-2016, 04:16 PM
My setup, 2 Dillon 550s on a 6 ft bench, a rockchucker for resize or trimming, setup with a Dillon trimmer and a separate 50 caliber Dillon progressive bolted to floor

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j5/plastikosmd/reloading/e8ae025222519d370707f464dc40f6cf_zps5a231de3.jpg
Wow cool setup. Mines a rcbs (think I typed that right) when I get in my shop I'll send a pic of my table bench so you guys can see what I have to work with

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Trimoto74
03-31-2016, 08:58 PM
A lot of good info so far. Now that's a set up plastiko. I'm jealous. Like mosh said organization is key. Set it up on something good and sturdy and organize to your liking. It's a time consuming addictive hobby if your doing it right. Next thing you know your into wild cat rounds and buying more guns so you can test them. More guns is never a bad thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk