PDA

View Full Version : Hi-Temp Red RTV on intake manifold gasket?

derrick81787
03-31-2016, 10:22 AM
Hi everyone,

I have an intake manifold on my ATC 110 that is giving me trouble. It turns out that it keeps coming loose because the threads in the bolt holes are stripped, so I'm going to repair them with a Helicoil this weekend. However, I have a question about gasket re-installation.

I bought a sheet of gasket material to cut out my own gasket since they seem to be either hard to find or expensive. I have one that's the right shape, but I'm kind of new to this and have never actually replaced gaskets before. Is red RTV an acceptable type of RTV to put on the intake manifold gasket? I bought it because it said Hi-Temp, but then I read online about most people using black. However, that was mostly for cars because that's all I could find info on, and even then I didn't know if red might also be acceptable.

Also, how do you do it? The first time, I put a thin coating on the bottom of the gasket and used that to glue it to the cylinder head. Then after 10 or 20 minutes, I put another thin layer on the top of the gasket and then bolted down the intake manifold on top of it. Is that correct? That worked for a week of driving around until it eventually started leaking air, but I think that's because the bolt holes were stripped and the bolts started to come loose. If nobody here tells me otherwise, I'm going to repair the threads and then repeat the procedure exactly the same way, but I thought I'd ask here first. I'm getting kind of tired of messing with it and just want to get it done right.

Thanks!

yaegerb
03-31-2016, 10:39 AM
don't use RTV on those gaskets at first. Cut your shape and bolt everything up and tighten down. Start up the bike, get it idling and spray carb cleaner around all joints to ensure there are no air leaks. You will hear the engine rev if there are. If you do have air leaks ensure that you are tight enough on the nuts/bolts. If all else fails smear a light coat of yamabond or Hondabond equivalent on both sides of gasket to seal.

derrick81787
03-31-2016, 10:47 AM
I really don't need anything? That would definitely make things easier. I kind of just assumed that I did because when I originally removed the intake manifold it was stuck on as if something had been used previously.

If it makes any difference, the gasket I'm using is grey and feels sort of like paper, but it is real gasket material not just cardstock. I was trying to choose between that and cork which were available locally, and I went with that. Thanks again.

yaegerb
03-31-2016, 11:50 AM
I never ran RTV or equivalent on any of my intake gaskets for my 200x. I don't run them on my 250R nor do I run them on my banshee. If the surfaces are flat and true then the gasket should take up the gap.

derrick81787
03-31-2016, 12:57 PM
Everything is flat and clean, so it sounds like I should be good. Thanks!

Georgiabii
03-31-2016, 10:00 PM
https://youtu.be/9Lsn6B6RsNQ

This is how you do it.

Don't use RTV unless you absolutely have to. It's not needed.

NETRA3
04-04-2016, 06:51 PM
+2 On a big ''NO'' to RTV sealer...... friend of mine used it on a 200x top end and it clogged the oil passages. You know the rest of the story.

derrick81787
04-05-2016, 12:21 PM
Thanks everyone. I used a plain gasket with no sealer like everyone here recommended. It seemed to work. I rode it for a while and mostly did fine. Every once in a while it seemed like I didn't have much power at full throttle, but then when I tried to recreate the situation it usually worked fine. I had a spare spark plug laying around so I replaced it just in case, but I haven't had a chance to ride around since then. Hopefully I'll be able to ride it around again today and see how it does.

Thanks again.

yaegerb
04-05-2016, 12:43 PM
Thanks everyone. I used a plain gasket with no sealer like everyone here recommended. It seemed to work. I rode it for a while and mostly did fine. Every once in a while it seemed like I didn't have much power at full throttle, but then when I tried to recreate the situation it usually worked fine. I had a spare spark plug laying around so I replaced it just in case, but I haven't had a chance to ride around since then. Hopefully I'll be able to ride it around again today and see how it does.

Thanks again.

Make sure you check for air leaks around the intake mounting locations.

derrick81787
04-05-2016, 01:47 PM
Make sure you check for air leaks around the intake mounting locations.

What do I do if I find one? Is that when I break out the RTV?

yaegerb
04-05-2016, 03:53 PM
yes, if you find one, tighten down the bolts a little bit more. If that doesn't work, use as little RTV as possible. Use yamabond 4 or equivalent Hondabond. Permatex makes a mess IMO.