PDA

View Full Version : Buell bikes....opinions?

fordnut79@hotma
04-05-2016, 06:32 PM
What does everyone think of Buell motorcycles? Thinking about getting an xb9. Anybody got one229985

fabiodriven
04-05-2016, 09:14 PM
I have an 09 XB12S Lightning. I would never sell it, it's a masterpiece of engineering. I've had it for about five years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jb2wheels
04-05-2016, 10:08 PM
My opinion Erik Buell is a genius.
My opinion the bikes are innovative to the extreme (probably to compensate for the powertrain...).
My opinion the HD engines are a compromise letting the whole product line down.

I've only ridden one Buell ever. I can't remember the model, but it had HD power. I was used to riding Ducati 888/916s and GSXRs at the time. The one thing that stood out about it was I had to shift it just when I felt like it finally started making power to match all the activity.

My opinion based on nothing but observation - the Rotax powered Angry Crab looking Buells should be a lot of fun with engine tech to match the rest of the bike.

fabiodriven
04-05-2016, 10:58 PM
The Harley powered Buell is exactly what it was designed to be. It's 103 horse and the engine might be better suited to tractor pulling or hill climbing, but that's what makes the XB's an XB. It is old, air cooled technology at the pinnacle of its evolution, the best an old 45 degree V-twin can be. I prefer to wear shorts as much as possible and on hot days my Buell reminds me what's between my legs at red lights as it's singeing the hairs from my skin. It turns the insides of my legs red. You can smell hot oil, not burning oil, just hot oil. Crank case fumes. The entire bike shakes at idle and it sometimes coughs when you snap the throttle. Mine is not tuned to the straight pipe so it's grumpy at times, I think it's lean. Sometimes it stumbles and falls on its face but the sound it makes regardless of what it's doing is beyond reproach. You're absolutely correct, you shift the Harley engine at only about 5,000 or 5,500 RPM. It's like a tractor. If you try to wind it, it will sign right off anything above 5,500. Shifting it also takes technique. What I learned is you have to pull really hard up on the shifter over a fairly decent amount of travel. Basically, yank that fucker right up as hard as you can. That engine is very special, and I was never a Harley guy. It took Eric Buell's creation for me to learn to appreciate that power plant and see why someone would want something that runs rough, isn't especially reliable, leaks, and is just inferior and more expensive than Japan's offerings. It is different in every single way, and Harley is just now starting to make Buell-esque bikes all these years later. Forgive me if I'm mistaken but I admittedly do not know my Harleys, but they make two bikes now that I think are two separate bikes, an XR and a Sportster I think. The newer they get the more I see Buell in those bikes. So calling a spade a spade, the bike is exactly what it was intended to be. You are entitled to your own opinion. If the H-D plant is a letdown to you then it's not for you. For other people, that power plant absolutely makes the bike. That's the whole point of it. I always get comments from people on my Buell, always. Even from people who don't know the first thing about motorcycles. The bike is 7 years old now and bikes have only just recently started looking more like my Buell did in 2009 when it was new. Nobody is going to come up to you and ask about your gixxer, I don't care how long or homosexual your swing arm is. You've seen one Jap bike, you've seen them all. Oh look that one has a Yoshi pipe! I'll have a Rotax powered Buell as well at some point. I know a guy who has one for sale right now, great price too. It's just not in the cards right this second but my second Buell will arrive when it is due.

Edit- I know it appears I'm taking shots at you for saying you rode gixxers jb. I'm not. I didn't notice you had said you rode GSXR's until after I posted!

jb2wheels
04-06-2016, 08:59 AM
We're on the same page I think - same observations, different interpretations/opinions/expectations.

I'm not a fan of extended arms on sport bikes. Ruins perfectly good bikes. That being said, I've lived in flyover states where the only curves and elevation changes are freeway ramps and the only thing a crotch rocket is good for is going straight & fast so I understand why they get ruined.

I'm glad you enjoy your Buell. I'd enjoy having any bike at this point but matrimonial harmony dictates otherwise during our child raising years which are almost over thankfully (so I can get back on two wheels, not thankful to have kids out of the house).

El Camexican
04-06-2016, 10:11 AM
They were the coolest looking bikes to come out at the time. They still look good and always will. I see Buell's, much like Harley’s, as being functional art, which style is prettier is in the eye of the beholder. I love that front disc set up that some Suzuki GP bikes ran in the 80’s.

Comparing a Harley twin to an inline 4 is a waste of time, they have next to nothing in common. If setting a land speed record or doing a power wheelie at triple digits is your goal get an inline 4. If cool bad ass unique looks with enough torque to embarrass anyone on a crotch rocket between stop lights while having the ability to cut curves well above sane public road speeds is your thing you’re on the right track with the Buell and I’m sure your maintenance costs will be much lower than for a European twin.

Some people say you should avoid discussing politics and religion with friends. I think comparing Harleys & Jap bikes should be added to that list.:lol:

JB: How far are you from Boerne?

oldskool83
04-06-2016, 12:56 PM
I had a 06 sporty and it was an 883 with pipes and air filter. Motor was under-power I felt but that was because I had a 2000 Honda RC51 before. I loved the vtwin motor of my RC but chose to try old american...I couldn't get use to the low sitting spread eagle riding feeling so after 500 miles I traded it on a 2002 Yamaha R1 in which I felt at home again on but by that time I only traded so I could turn around and flip the bike for cash. But I missed the torque of the RC51. I went back and looked at my favorite inline 4 which was the cbr929rr which I could whip around like nothing. By this time at age 31 I choose to accept the fact I made it past 30 unlike a lot of guys I new and focused on more toys with knobby tires then with out.

Give me that same motor from a sporty in a sportier frame which is a buell and I def would prob still have that bike. However beull is harder to find now days and will only get harder.

I've owned a rash of bikes but V-twin power is the best I feel. You can ride both nicely on 1 wheel over 100 mph while shifting with passengers on the back...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWti86hJ0wA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4J0Iem8eB0

jb2wheels
04-06-2016, 05:50 PM
... I’m sure your maintenance costs will be much lower than for a European twin.

No doubt - modified Ducatis are just counting down the clock until their next scattering of parts and oiling the track

JB: How far are you from Boerne?

Roughly 2 hours (110 ish miles). Need help with something?

El Camexican
04-06-2016, 09:18 PM
modified Ducatis are just counting down the clock until their next scattering of parts and oiling the track

GLUP:(

Roughly 2 hours (110 ish miles). Need help with something?

Cool, you're about a third of the distance away as I am away. You mentioned living in flyover States lacking elevation change. It's been a few years, but I've trailered a sport bike out to Hill Country quite a few times over the past decade and hit the Twisted Sisters, Leakey, Bandera, Fredericksburg etc.. You can ride the chicken strips off your liter bike tires out there with only a few concerns; mainly the law and wildlife, and not necessarily in that order. I consider it to be a "tourism track day" event. Friday is best as you have the roads to yourselves from 8:00am to 5:00pm. Saturday it's starts getting busy and Sunday is best left to the cursers and drunks, we head home right after breakfast on Sunday rather than fighting the traffic.

If you get up on 2 wheels again be sure to make the trip, it's well worth the effort.:beer

jb2wheels
04-06-2016, 09:49 PM
I love the TX Hill country on 2 wheels. I covered a lot of miles out there!

I lived in KS and OH. Oh my KS is flat...

Billy Golightly
04-06-2016, 10:03 PM
I rode Curt's Buell a bit a few weeks ago and really liked it. The thing didn't feel *that* heavy to me, it was suprisingly nimble for what I had really come to expect. The torque curve and power reminded me of a diesel, signs off about 5k but you can short shifter or tractor it all you want up to that. It was a really enjoyable machine.

fabiodriven
04-06-2016, 10:39 PM
Yup, William nailed it. My bike feels incredibly light and nimble and mine is a lot smaller than the model William rode. That's the first thing people notice when they sit on it, you're right on top of the front wheel. It's a tiny bike! It's extremely flick-able and I'm sure it would be right with the faster bikes in the twisties. I don't like highway riding and the Buell is perfect for my style of riding. I've been a little over 100 on it, probably closer to 120, but I don't much enjoy a naked bike at those speeds. I'll do quick shots up the highway with the very occasional long road trip and I cruise at around 90, but that's tucked in tight. The perimeter rotor front brake is hands down the most powerful I've ever felt. Mine is the 8 piston caliper but earlier versions had a 6 piston caliper.

Billy Golightly
04-07-2016, 07:50 PM
Yup, William nailed it. My bike feels incredibly light and nimble and mine is a lot smaller than the model William rode. That's the first thing people notice when they sit on it, you're right on top of the front wheel. It's a tiny bike! It's extremely flick-able and I'm sure it would be right with the faster bikes in the twisties. I don't like highway riding and the Buell is perfect for my style of riding. I've been a little over 100 on it, probably closer to 120, but I don't much enjoy a naked bike at those speeds. I'll do quick shots up the highway with the very occasional long road trip and I cruise at around 90, but that's tucked in tight. The perimeter rotor front brake is hands down the most powerful I've ever felt. Mine is the 8 piston caliper but earlier versions had a 6 piston caliper.

The entire front end still waves at you thought every time you come to stop sign or red light...:lol:

Dirtcrasher
04-08-2016, 10:23 PM
From what I've seen, they seem to be very well engineered bikes.

Super trick appearance!

I'm not aware of any other model that compares in the least....