PDA

View Full Version : 200x engine locking up every few flywheel turns - help!

3wheelers
04-06-2016, 05:01 PM
So I bought a non-running 200x on craigslist. The guy told me the timing chain was loose so it made some noise (yeah right buddy). So I thought I would try to get it running. I got a good spark, gas, had compression. Wouldn't start with a kick but I got it to fire a couple times. So I hook it to the back of a 300ex and have my friend pull me. I put it in 2nd gear and the engine turned over but wouldn't fire. Then it made terrible noises. Sounded like a chain binding up or somthing, possibly some knocking noises too. Anyways, it would still kick over fine but felt like it had less compression kinda and sounds like metal scraping metal when turned over and when I try to kick it over or when I turn the flywheel, it will lock up until turned over backwards. Anyone know what could cause this? I'm assuming rod bearing or crankshaft bearing? And I want to know how hard it would be to replace the crank bearing. I know you have to take the whole engine apart to replace rod bearing.

Thank you for reading and any help is appreciated!!

jb2wheels
04-06-2016, 05:42 PM
Piston to valve contact.

Pull the head let's see the carnage.

3wheelers
04-06-2016, 06:11 PM
You think so? Why would they be making contact? I looked in spark plug hole and they both looked just fine. I don't think the timing is off. Maybe the timing chain slipped?

John Tice
04-06-2016, 07:32 PM
You might have bad bearings anyplace in the engine. Usually if the piston stuck, the engine would be running at high RPM’s. I’ve seized a couple of bikes & they all stuck when at high RPM’s. Afterword’s the compression would drop considerably; also a lot harder to start with the lower compression.
JT

ironchop
04-06-2016, 07:45 PM
Are you sure the timing chain isn't broke and binding up the crank orblike JB said from the piston banging on the valves? Or the tensioner broke and the chain is so loose it could be skipping teeth or binding.

If it still has compression then its probably not piston to valve. First valve hit and you won't have compression anymore after that for sure.

Jb is right though, your gonna have to remove at least the head minimum to see what's really going on. Probably should pull left cover and the flywheel so you can see behind it and inspect the bottom of the tensioner and to replace the timing chain if needed (probably does)

Sent from my Z998 using Tapatalk

yaegerb
04-06-2016, 08:11 PM
Do you have shavings in the oil or the oil screen?

3wheelers
04-06-2016, 09:10 PM
Ok guys. I pulled the top end. The problem was the rod bearing. It's shot. I've got an extra crank and rod with good bearings that I'm about to put in. Yes there were shavings in the oil, a good amount. I'm stuck at the flywheel though. I don't have a fly wheel puller. This looks a little different than most flywheels I've seen. do I need a special puller, or can I go to town and buy a regular one?

Here are some pictures of what I found. Timing chain is good. Valves are good, piston is good. Just bad rod bearing.230067230068230069

yaegerb
04-06-2016, 09:35 PM
Aside from the flywheel pulled I posted in your other thread you need to invest 60 bucks into a tusk case splitter.

YTZ drew
04-06-2016, 09:44 PM
I'm 99% positive that a 14mm x 1.5 bolt is all you need to pop the flywheel off that engine. And I know for sure that my 200x case split easily without a separator tool or any prying. You will need the funky spanner nut socket to get the clutch off though. Good news is that socket is cheap and fits tons of other Honda engines. Oscar Mayer has the OEM manual on his website for download, and we're here if you have questions. Now order a gasket set and get that thing split!

3wheelers
04-06-2016, 10:27 PM
Is removing the clutch required to change the crank? :cry:

yaegerb
04-07-2016, 12:24 AM
Yes. Removing the crank is the second most tedious job on a first gen 200x. L/R case guts will be stripped bare. The longest/most tedious is the kicker gears.

3wheelers
04-07-2016, 01:15 AM
Ok, so I used the front axel to remove the flywheel. So, I'm in the clutch case. But I got stuck at this special tool you need to remove a special nut. It's on the crankshaft on the clutch side. What is this tool called? And could someone show me a picture of the tool needed?

3wheelers
04-07-2016, 01:18 AM
Oh also, I found the washer things that go on the sides of the crankshaft! Probably bearing parts too 😂 :(

Bren_downe
04-07-2016, 02:46 AM
Ok, so I used the front axel to remove the flywheel. So, I'm in the clutch case. But I got stuck at this special tool you need to remove a special nut. It's on the crankshaft on the clutch side. What is this tool called? And could someone show me a picture of the tool needed?

Go on eBay and search "Honda clutch hub socket spanner tool." That will give you an idea of what it looks like. You can easily make one out of an old socket and a grinder. Use and impact gun to remove. Be careful though I believe that is reverse thread.

YTZ drew
04-07-2016, 06:49 AM
It's regular thread, and fairly tight. Also, the nut has a beveled side, it's directional (and marked) when you reassemble.