PDA

View Full Version : How's about a little lathe project?

Scootertrash
04-08-2016, 09:55 PM
Got a little project going that I need to fire up the old Atlas lathe for.

The live center I have won't fit the end of this fork tube:

So, rather than hammer it in with a dead blow, time to make an adapter. I cut a piece of 5/8" bar stock to get started. I need to turn one end down to just a hair over 1/2" to fit the counter bore that the fork dampner tube bolt goes in. First, I center drilled, then drilled the hole for drilling and tapping for a 5/16X18 allen head to hold the adapter in the fork:

Tapped the hole (no, not like that, pervs) Then I turned the O.D. down to just a hair over 1/2"

Then I center drilled the other end for the live center:

It fits nicely!

Test fit in the lathe, fire up the lathe to make sure it runs true. Success!

Shortened up the adapter, re-center drilled for the live center and sanded off the rust, after all it's gotta look nice, right?

Update on the project Sunday, got a funeral tomorrow.

onformula1
04-08-2016, 10:08 PM
Nice work, why do you want to turn the slider?

Scootertrash
04-08-2016, 10:13 PM
It's part of a much larger customizing project I have in process. Let's just say I will be "re-profiling" the upper portion of the slider, well, both of them actually. ;)

bkm
04-08-2016, 10:14 PM
Necessity is the mother of all inventions.

Scootertrash
04-08-2016, 10:16 PM
Yup, I love doing this stuff!

I need a mill tho, then I would never leave the shop!

bkm
04-08-2016, 10:24 PM
I hear ya. Soon I will hopefully have a new garage on my house. After that I'm going to be on the hunt for a mill. I have several machinist buddies who work for shops that sell the older manual stuff off for basically scrap prices. My buddy bought a monster Jet lathe and a bridgeport mill for $500 each from a shop that had them sitting in the corner. He sold me his 1942 Sebastian gear head short bed lathe for $300.

ironchop
04-08-2016, 11:04 PM
I got my J Head Bridgeport for $150. I tore it all down and scraped NINE layers of paint off it. I need a new X axis screw and handle and the retainer screws for the gibs were missing and I haven't touched it in almost two years. I also planned on getting the motor rewound and machine new bushings for the shaft ends and I have to weld the belt tension adjuster back together. It fell over in a semi trailer being moved to a new building which is the only reason I got it that cheap. Once the tensioner broke and the axis screw got bent they filed a claim and scrapped it. Parts will cost me $150 plus paint cost not counting maybe a motor rewind.

I would probably already have it done if I really needed it. I'm spoiled with and prefer my equipment at work.

Sent from my Z998 using Tapatalk

yaegerb
04-08-2016, 11:34 PM
Necessity is the mother of all inventions.

Necessity is a mother

plastikosmd
04-09-2016, 11:39 AM
In the same boat bkm, just starting the 60x50 shop, amen. I have so many projects on hold over past 2 yrs due to less shop access on weekends. Nice project op. U make me miss the smell of cutting oil

Scootertrash
04-10-2016, 12:24 PM
I put thread cutting oil on for cologne before I head out to the garage :)

Backstory to this project:

I'm doing a major facelift on my Harley Low Rider this spring. The main thread will reside in Bikersville, but machining and special ops I'll put here since a lot of techniques can be used on motorcycles, three wheelers and ATVs. ;)

So this facelift is going to go with the short/fat look. One of the mods is swapping out the narrow glide front forks for a wide glide set up. I want to run dual disc brakes and HD only ran intermittent dual disc set ups on the Big Twin line throughout the years except for the Touring models. The last run on the cruiser Big Twins until recently was the 83-85 Wide Glide. Since I don't want to run calipers from that era, I opted to run the newer Brembo front brakes off of a touring model. One problem is that the Brembos use a totally different mounting pattern than any previous models, the other problem is the Touring sliders are meant to be run under what they call "cow bells", a metal sleeve of sorts that is bolted to the lower triple tree and covers the top of the slider, which is in turn covered by the metal housing that covers the triple tree assembly and houses the headlight.

Like this:

Which is not the look I want, so

On the left is a slider off of an 83-85 Wide Glide, on the right is a slider off of an '08 and newer Touring model. You'll notice that the slider on the left has a groove at the top for a rubber dust cover to finish off the top of the slider instead of multiple covers. I need that groove for my design.

First I cut the grooves in each slider, then I turned the OD at the top of the fork to match the dimension on the older Wide Glide fork:

The dust caps fit like a glove.

I'll mock up the front end next week. Going to the tire guy tomorrow to get the new tires mounted so I can fit, adjust, and drill the fenders with new rubber to make sure I have clearance between the fenders and tires. ;)

A little dremel work on the casting marks and they'll be ready for powder coating

The lower band of bluing is from planning on trying to mimic the profile on the earlier sliders, but is only .200 of difference between the diameter at the top caliper mount and the area in the lowest band of bluing. That comes out to .100 per side, so it's not really worth the effort to do the profile, and I am going for a fatter look so.........:naughty: :beer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMnjF1O4eH0

Dirtcrasher
04-13-2016, 03:38 PM
^ Looking good!

I have no idea how I survived without a Bridgeport Mill and a SouthBend lathe.

You'd be amazed what you can do with them; Such as a collar with a big O.D. to fit in a gas tank shroud with a shouldered depth .010 less than the plastic. Finish with a S.S. button head screw and no more cracks. I make dozens and dozens of custom stuff. It's nice when the trike is done and you look it over for simple things you can make to do the fastening job better!!

big specht
04-13-2016, 05:07 PM
Yea having your own little machine shop is a big help. After you get them you don't know what you would do with out them. We have two mills and two lathes as for one being getting more use than the other it's a toss up cause you almost can't have with out the other cause they kind of go hand and hand.

Dirtcrasher
04-14-2016, 02:30 PM
It looks like a #2 jaw in the #3 slot on the chuck; Might be the picture!! :D

tripledog
04-28-2016, 09:45 PM
Have you made any more forking progress?

mendoAu
04-29-2016, 12:25 AM
Have you made any more forking progress?

That's what I keep asking my Senator....Have ya made any FORKING PROGRESS ......;)

mendoAu
04-29-2016, 02:48 AM
That's some mighty fine work.....tools/machines make a big difference. About 7 years ago I lived in Northern Cal. and my best buddy and I would spend many a day in his garage/shop...plasma cutter, lathe, two welders, bead blaster..etc. etc....winch/bumpers, door/hinge hardware for vintage houses..dang near anything but decided to pursue my search for gold and moved to SW Oregon about 7 years ago. A bit off the grid so if propane or a 6000 watt gen can't run it I don't have it. Sure miss that shop but I guess a guy has to do what a guy has to do....I ain't got a fancy shop but the beauty kinda makes up for it: