PDA

View Full Version : 350x motor prep

22LB
04-09-2016, 08:20 AM
Getting ready to paint 350x engine. Scuffed everything up good. Anyone have any good pointers on what I can use to clean mudd out of jug fins? Don't wanna use water

dustrunner
04-09-2016, 09:04 AM
I would try a parts cleaning brush. has a long handle with straight bristle's .

22LB
04-09-2016, 01:07 PM
Ok thanks will give it a shot

ps2fixer
04-09-2016, 01:26 PM
I noticed in the photo the head gasket is a bit wet, but the side of the gasket is nice and clean. Did you just replace the head gasket? If not it sort of looks like it might be leaking, or was went from being cleaned.

22LB
04-09-2016, 03:27 PM
Ya I did notice that it's leaking a bit plan on having all gasket and seals changed. Just had at local shop told guy on phone wanted all gaskets changed leak down test and header mounts changed. He said ok bring it in so I did when got there carried the motor in the shop and mechanic says I can't do anything with that out of trike ????ok so loaded it back up didn't wanna drag the motor in and out of fresh powdercoat

ps2fixer
04-09-2016, 03:34 PM
Seems kind of strange they wouldn't touch it off of the 3 wheeler... Not like they needed to fix it, just replace gaskets. Really the gaskets are pretty easy to change, the most pain one to deal with is the center crank case gasket.

Of what I can see on your machine, I'd say pop the head and cyl off, replace base gasket, and put a new head gasket on. Use yamabond/hondabond on the valve cover and ride it. Side cover and center case gaskets are just for keeping oil in the engine, unlike a 2 stroke where it can run lean from a leak. Of course with the head off, check for bad signs (scoring in cyl, valve stem seals, mating surface etc. If you want to throw some money at it, could get the valves reground and such. The machine shop won't tell you to bring in the 3 wheeler whole =).

22LB
04-09-2016, 03:35 PM
Didn't use and anything other that scuff pad on motor just tried to scuff everything for paint. Gonna have to use water to rinse good in fins after I get it cleaned up

22LB
04-09-2016, 03:45 PM
Thanks for all your help. I should have just rode it but instead tore it all down to clean everything up and replace bearings rebuild shocks one was leaking pretty bad. Then I figured while have the engine out figured have shop check it out good because obviously they have more knowledge than me. Don't wanna drive 3 hrs to haspen and have a problem. Be a sad day!!

ps2fixer
04-09-2016, 04:23 PM
Understandable, it is always a good idea to bring more machines than you have people to ride, just never know if something will happen.

22LB
04-09-2016, 08:34 PM
Ya I have a old 92 350dr to beat around on if trike fails

ps2fixer
04-10-2016, 12:53 AM
Sounds like you're covered then =D. Lat year I bought 3 machines, year before I took 2. Never had any real problems, but brakes are strongly advised, atleast rear brakes. My 350x is front only currently, and the sx had a bent foot brake lever, so wasn't the easiest to use.

22LB
04-10-2016, 12:24 PM
Ah sounds like my old one came outta woods to fast dropped down hill couldn't get off throttle my boss had a crane setting there I had to jump off in 6th. Needed a new triple and forks that goodness didn't hurt frame. So long story short I agree with you on the brakes