PDA

View Full Version : what steering bearings for 250sx with 250r front end

edizzle89
04-14-2016, 11:21 AM
So i have read on here about people swapping 250r fronts onto 250sx and they say you just need tapered roller bearings to replace the SX's ball bearings. My 250sx that i just recently acquired has a 250r front end on it but it feels like it has no steering stem bearings at all, has a lot of play.

I know they make replacement tapered bearings for the SX which are these:
http://www.bikebandit.com/aftermarket-parts/motorcycle-control-and-brake/steering-stems-bearings/quadboss-steering-stem-bearing-and-seal-kits?m=1913

are these what i need to work with the R front end? or is there a specific special bearing that i need to use? in all the thread's ive read about SX to R front end swaps they all say "you have to use tapered bearing" but never say if its stock replacement ones or something different.

Here is a picture of my 250sx, traded a bag of power tools for it

edizzle89
04-18-2016, 02:48 PM
well since i wasnt able to get an answer I went ahead and ordered SX tapered roller bearings. They ended up working alright. The only thing was the bottom bearing was a little loose on the triple tree shaft, like 1 millimeter to big, just enough to feel play in it. I ended up wrapping the shaft where the bearing sits with electrical tape to fill the small gap. We will see how it holds up, worse case i have to rebuild it every year or 2. The top bearing was nice and tight and went on without a problem.

I had the old R bearing thinking maybe thats what I needed, it fit the triple tree shaft but the out race was just a hair to small for the steering neck. So the SX bearing was loose on the triple tree and the R bearing was loose in the steering neck. but looking at both options i think the SX bearings are the way to go.

Dezlemke
04-22-2016, 03:22 AM
For future reference these are the sizes of the bearings. I pulled the numbers from AllBalls.
ID OD. Width
Top. Bottom
R. 26 47 15. 26 47 15
Sx. 26 48.5 15. 27 48.5 18
Hopefully this makes sense

edizzle89
04-26-2016, 11:30 AM
that makes sense, thats why my SX bottom bearing was a little loose on the triple tree, looks like it was 1 millimeter too big. and if you were to use a R bottom bearing the bearing race would be 1.5 millimeters too small for the SX frame neck.

those #'s seem to match what i found.