PDA

View Full Version : electrolytic rust removal anyone?

scora7
04-19-2016, 06:06 PM
I'm debating making a electrolytic de rust tub .. wondering if anyone on here has anything good or bad to say about them. I currently use my sandblaster .. mineral spirits .. vinegar ...and other parts solutions . sometimes mix... thanks I'd appreciate any help

wonderboy
04-20-2016, 12:45 PM
I've tried it. What I found is that you need a good amount of surface area on the anode, otherwise the system will quickly slow down as the rust and other crud accumulates on the anode.

I was using re-bar on some parts and a nice 12V power supply, and at first the part to be cleaned really fizzed (meaning it's working). I found I had to check on the part hourly in order to clean off the re-bar to keep good cleaning action.

Also, this won't magically remove the rust and reveal nice clean shiny metal. My experience is that is gets rid of the active outer layers and leaves behind a dark but solid layer of metal. It is great if you plan to topcoat it, but it doesn't get things clean like sandblasting does.

It is a neat concept, but for me sand/bead blasting seems to be quicker and more effective.

BOB MARLIN
04-20-2016, 03:06 PM
It works, but takes a while. Use multiple Anodes. The "washing soda" was hard to get here in California so I tried some different solutions with bad results. Getting the washing soda was key for me.

scora7
04-20-2016, 08:14 PM
thanks guys I appreciate the advice . I'm gonna look into it for a bit. kinda sounds about the same as a solution bath. I was planning on rebar for the anodes . they have washing soda at walmart by my house in here in sd. maybe a. more conductive anode set up widea than rebar.

Mike280
04-21-2016, 12:22 PM
I've had great success using an old brake rotor for the anode. plenty of surface area.