PDA

View Full Version : 1984 250r oil leaking around front sprocket

lbrettmiller
04-24-2016, 09:05 PM
Hey guys. Long time reader. Haven't posted much. I got my 84 250r out this weekend to ride. I was grinning the whole time. I stopped for a minute to look at something, and I noticed I had oil coming out from behind my front sprocket. Would it just be my oil seal that I need to replace? If so, where is the best place to get parts? Thanks for your help.

yaegerb
04-24-2016, 09:44 PM
Potentially. Clean the area really well and watch for future drips to ensure that's the only place oil is coming from. Try ordering your parts from partzilla.

86125m
04-25-2016, 09:22 AM
Yea x2 on the clean and watch. If it does seem to be leaking there I like to check with local Honda shops before I order anything.

Sent from my KFFOWI using Tapatalk

lbrettmiller
04-25-2016, 09:32 AM
I actually saw the oil coming out between the sprocket and output shaft. What else could it be in that area? I'm not not trying to sound like I have it figured out, I'm genuinely asking because I don't know.

yaegerb
04-25-2016, 09:40 AM
You have the kicker seal and the sprocket seal on that side. Either could be leaking. If you have tons of dirt/oil/sludge buildup on that side its hard to tell where oil is coming from. That's why I suggested cleaning the cases thoroughly and monitoring the seepage. If you 100% sure its from behind the sprocket, go get a new seal and put it in.