PDA

View Full Version : '84 200ES Big Red Wipeout & Rear Tires

Relic1882
04-26-2016, 10:29 PM
Hello everyone! So I had a pretty decent wipeout on my 200ES last weekend. First time I've ever had an accident in my life! I guess that's a good record for me. I get pretty reckless from time to time. Anyway, turns out I punctured on something and lost air in one of my rear tires, then I lost control of the trike and ran into a water company pipe sticking straight up from the ground along side the trail. To make a long story short, I got tossed pretty hard, now I have some ordered parts from eBay coming in to repair my fun-on-wheels. Plus I need time for all the aches and pains to go away. :) It feels like I started lifting weights again and I have DOMS from head to toe. My arm looks like a seared steak too. Even with all of that, I still had fun!

Anyway, I ordered a pair of Carlisle Turf Busters on eBay and I'd like your opinions on them. I know I read somewhere people say they are lousy tires, but I needed at least one of them and they come on the rims already. The seller wanted 36 bucks for both with an extra 48 to ship them. For less than 100 I figured you can't go wrong, especially with the rims. They are in pretty good shape. Looks almost like new to me.

I didn't get them yet, but when I do I wanted to get your opinions on the tire pressure I should be using in them. Is about 2 pounds plenty? I heard they are very stuff. We ride on mostly dirt and rocky trails. I don't go through mudholes too often. Just a fun dash through a big puddle sometimes. I weight about 250 if that helps.

I had to order a set of new hubs, because one of them in the rear was very loose after I crashed. The lugs don't budge so I figured just cut them off and start over. Also I needed new brake levers for both sides of the handlebars and a new headlight setup. Does anyone know where I can get the red plastic casing for the headlight without paying an outrageous amount for it?

Oh well. When it's all said and done, despite the pain, I had a lot more fun than hurt so it was still a good weekend! Catch you guys later!

wonderboy
04-27-2016, 12:47 PM
What you'll find is that with the heavier stiffer tires, your ride quality on a hard tail (like the 200ES) will get dramatically worse. Keep in mind that the tire is the only suspension you get on that machine (the front forks are negligible in my opinion). Did you get the same size tires? At least this way you'll have the same amount of sidewall, even if it is firmer.

Relic1882
04-27-2016, 06:02 PM
Yeah the tires coming are the same size as what was on there. 25-12-9 I believe. It sucks that I popped one of the old ones but I'd rather ride a little harder, at least for now, then spend 150 or better on new ones. I'll more than likely upgrade the tires later when the rest of the bike is completed, but I want to get up and running soon and cheaper so I can go out with the family. :)