PDA

View Full Version : 85 250sx wont charge battery

Earllee
05-03-2016, 08:12 PM
my 1985 250sx will not charge the battery, the ignition switch has been bypassed to a toggle for the red and black wires to make the starter work. however the battery never charges. headlights will work until its dies. engine always runs with the kick start. how do i test everything to figure out whats not working. wiring diagram shows a green wire and a black with white tracer wire into the key switch. those are just cut off. could this be my problem,?

Georgiabii
05-04-2016, 01:25 AM
More than likely yes.

Where do those wires go? Find out and you'll know for sure.

Georgiabii
05-04-2016, 02:30 AM
And the answer is yes... The black with white tracer provides power to the voltage regulator energizing the charging system. I had to dig out my service manual to track the wiring down for you. The Green also goes to the Voltage regulator...

Earllee
05-04-2016, 12:56 PM
from what i can tell the green is a ground. the black with white tracer goes to the cdi box and when the key is turned off it grounds cdi causing it to kill the engine. the red and black connect when switched to on position and make neutral light come on and starter have power. i could be wrong. but the diagram i have that i found on this site appears to say that. i was unable to open your link. im gonna rewire the switch up correctly and see what happens tonight. thanks for you help! http://www.3wheelerworld.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=85522&d=1261803640