PDA

View Full Version : 1984 Honda 200S Lurching Forward in Gear

Honda 200S_200M
05-07-2016, 10:30 AM
Hi there, I wonder if someone can help. I recently cleaned the carb in my 200S and upon starting it the idle is quite high and when I pop it into 1st gear it'll start rolling forward without the throttle being touched. Any suggestions in how to fix the problem?

Thank you!

350for350
05-08-2016, 09:24 PM
Check to make sure your slide is installed right. It's probably 180 degrees off. It's an easy mistake to make. I did that once on the same exact model only I didn't realize that it was still in 2nd gear. I was lucky that I had ahold of the left side grip. It still took me three circles to be able to reach across and hit the kill switch. It can be scary.

wonderboy
05-09-2016, 01:47 PM
If it didn't lurch before, then just focus on getting your idle back down to where it belongs.

However, once your idle is right back where it belongs and it still lurches when putting it into gear, then there are most likely worn components in your centrifugal clutch. Two items (that I know of, I'm sure there are others) that will cause this: worn/stretched spring around the clutch shoes and worn pivot links.

derrick81787
05-11-2016, 01:32 PM
Does the carb on the 200s have a throttle stop screw like the carb on my 110 does? Look at this picture (http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41cvZreRwkL.jpg). That screw in the middle looks like the throttle stop screw. You turn it clockwise to increase the idle and counterclockwise to decrease it. Put it in neutral, start it up, and adjust that screw counter clockwise until it idles lower.

If that screw doesn't have any effect, then your needle or slide were reinstalled incorrectly.

If it idles correctly and then lurches in gear, then it's probably your clutch, but the high idle makes combined with the fact that you just worked on the carb makes me think it is either the throttle stop screw or the slide. Turning that screw clockwise is exactly the same as giving it more throttle with your thumb, so if that screw is turned too far in then it makes sense that the bike would lurch forward just as if you were giving it gas.