PDA

View Full Version : just bought two more Hondas!

brian l
05-11-2016, 06:14 AM
I posted a pic of My 125m and a friend from school replied that Her Husband had passed,and She had two red trikes in the barn that She was going to sell.She lives close so I went right over and there were a 250 and 200 es big reds.Said they ran less that two years ago and wanted 300 for the pair!So I came back with cash and a trailer and brought them home.Well the 200 leaks gas a bit,and tried to start.The 250 fired right up and I have been tearing up My woods now daily!Problem I have is it just wont idle.I used to have to blow a little compressed air thru the fuel line and it would start up,but now I dont have too.Could it be the float is sticking and not letting it idle?Other than this problem,it seems just fine.And It wont go into reverse,but thats not a big deal.I guess I should get a carb kit and just rebuild that dang thing!Or take it apart and clean it prolly would help!
The 200 is for another day! I have side work in the shop I have neglected and thats where the toy money comes from.I just got My motor back for the 125.That ones for the Wifey.The 250 is pretty big for Me,Im not a speed person and I think i could hurt Myself on the 250. take care!

ps2fixer
05-11-2016, 07:15 AM
Sounds like a rebuild kit for the 200 (for the float o-ring) and a good carb cleaning. High idle on the 250 might suggest an intake leak between the carb and cyl head, either the o-ring, or the rubber intake has a crack. In a perfect world, the idle adjustment is just too high =).

For reverse on the 250, you have to push in the little button on the left brake handle and pull it in which pulls a small cable that goes on the bottom right side of the engine. Maybe the cable is missing, frozen up, or out of adjustment? The high idle might make it harder to shift in reverse too, never really tried with it rev'ed up, just don't force it (bent shift forks).

What year is the 200? I'll go off the deep end and guess a 1984 (shaft drive with reverse and low range), and the 250 is a 1985 =). Those are the two most common years for those makes so fair chances I guessed right lol.

As for a machine being too big for you, it is purely in your control, if you push the machine or your skill level, then your pushing what you can safely ride at. If you are fairly new to riding a 3 wheeler, keep it in the lower 3 gears till you're used to the characteristics of it. If you ever rode a dirt bike, ride the 3 wheeler the same way except the machine won't lean with you. Just remember.... don't stick your foot out, or else you will run over your leg in most cases. If it tips too far over, generally it is better to bail off it, done that only once personally on my 250sx in 4th gear getting it pretty good in the middle of winter. Was sliding the rear end around playing, then it got too much traction and started to go over, I bailed and I slid a good 20 feet further than the machine. Only damage was a bent handle bar. I've been riding trikes around 11 years now, the first ~3-5 years was with a 200es big red and learning when and how much to lean was a lot for me to learn coming from riding a quad for ~5 years. The quad still sits to this day and I still prefer riding 3 wheelers =).

Anyway, good luck with working on the two machines, hopefully it is just some carb work on both of them to make them run perfect.

brian l
05-13-2016, 06:07 AM
Boy,I never thought of an intake leak!It just wont idle even warm,You have to keep touching the throttle.Starts right up cold one or two kicks(no battery yet)I only have four acres and the 250 seems made for a good long run.When running properly,I want to do some trails around Me.The black star shaped screw on the carb I have now screwed all the way closed,and back again and no change in idle.These have sat for two years so a good cleaning and service of carb would not hurt at all.I am also impressed that the fuel consumption is crazy low!Have not burned two gallons of fuel and I ride every day for an hour or so.My Wife wants the 125 to put around on,and the 200 seems tame compared to the 250.But love the full suspension of the 250!

ps2fixer
05-13-2016, 04:36 PM
The pilot screw should be around 1.5 to 2 turns out from lightly seated for the factory setup and should effect the low end on how the engine runs. The idle adjusting screw is on the side of the carb instead of the bottom.

The 125's really last on gas, 200's do quite well too. The 250's can consume a bit but nothing super bad. Go up to a 350x and a hard full day of riding can eat up a tank.