PDA

View Full Version : Am I missing out by not having a Facebook account?

wonderboy
05-11-2016, 10:17 AM
I'm not a facebook person. I don't judge others who do use it (my wife is on facebook), but for me it is just runs counter to some of my principals in life.

With that said, am I missing out on much 3 wheeler discussion? Is there a lot of activity on facebook like the type of discussion that used to take place here?

It seems to me that there isn't the volume of discussions taking place here like there used to be just a few years ago. I'm wondering if the decrease is due to an increase on facebook.

I don't want to bash facebook here, but just want to know if I'm missing out... maybe I need to rethink my opposition and get with the times.

atctim
05-11-2016, 10:29 AM
My Facebook feeds are nearly nothing but 3 wheeler stuff. Parts for sale, bikes for sale, information sharing, custom built trikes. It's what you make of it. I learned this about Facebook though - it is my opinion that with all of the trike guys out there - I WILL NOT friend anyone whom I have never met personally. Being at 10 Trikefests, and 4 Imperial Invasions has opened my social doors to so many wonderful people with trikes. I say, you are missing out. With that said - I see so many people abusing Facebook and ruining their personal relationships by staring at their phones / screens all day. Facebook is not a replacement for 1 on 1 contact, it is a supplement.

bkm
05-11-2016, 10:31 AM
I have one, could I live without it? Absolutely. I have distant relatives i keep in contact with and most of the people I'm friends with I unfollow their timelines so I don't have to sift through the political banter or life drama they feel the need to let the world know about. I have bought some great parts and sold lots of stuff on there in a matter of minutes that has sat on here for a month with not even a nibble. But for me I love the forums. The archived info is a simple search away and that is something Facebook will never replace.

DohcBikes
05-11-2016, 11:20 AM
I have tried twice despite my inhibitions. Turns out my inhibitions did dot lie. Massive amounts of ridiculousness. I think/hope the tide will turn and people will go back to calling on the phone or knocking at the door.

Downfall of society.

keister
05-11-2016, 11:57 AM
........ but for me it is just runs counter to some of my principals in life.

Such as??? Very curious to know what life principles those might be.

Prepare yourself to see a lot of pictures of what people are having for dinner.
I am amazed at how fascinating some people find it to photograph their food.
But yes, there is a lot of trike related content on there.

bkm
05-11-2016, 12:18 PM

I'm guilty of posting a dish I've made, but in my defense, I'm very passionate about cooking and consider it an awesome experience with my wife and girls. I don't get many opportunities to sit down and have a meal with my family, so when I do it's very exciting and something my wife and I love doing together.

We make a huge production out of it that normally takes several hours from start till the last dish is washed. Nothing better than being with my girls, jamming music, and trying food I was never exposed to before I was married.

Yes, it is cheesy taking pics of it, but I'm cheesy anyway so the two go hand in hand. Lol

RUNMEDOWN
05-11-2016, 12:31 PM
Its a good tool, but like any tool in the toolbox, it can be used incorrectly. I use it to keep up to date with family and close friends. Also a great resource to find parts. I am on 11 different atc pages and just cut and copy adds looking for parts (Most recent is the search for a Goki 185s starter) in a matter of seconds I am able to ask thousands of people if they have the part.

ironchop
05-11-2016, 10:18 PM
I know there are alot of people giving bullshit advice all over the place on FB. Alot more drama too.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

El Camexican
05-11-2016, 10:58 PM
Two cell phones, a land line, Skype, three email accounts, a bunch of whatsap groups, texts, more TV's than habitants in the house and a 3WW account. I need a FB account like a boot in the head. My wife's cousin said it best: "There was a reason I stopped talking to most of the people I didn't talk to before they found me on Facebook"

redsox
05-12-2016, 08:42 AM
Two cell phones, a land line, Skype, three email accounts, a bunch of whatsap groups, texts, more TV's than habitants in the house and a 3WW account. I need a FB account like a boot in the head. My wife's cousin said it best: "There was a reason I stopped talking to most of the people I didn't talk to before they found me on Facebook"

whatsap is great. i can't bring myself to get on Facebook. its just not my style. i prefer the old "forum" style. but its dying for sure.

keister
05-12-2016, 11:34 AM
I'm guilty of posting a dish I've made, but in my defense, I'm very passionate about cooking and consider it an awesome experience with my wife and girls. I don't get many opportunities to sit down and have a meal with my family, so when I do it's very exciting and something my wife and I love doing together.

We make a huge production out of it that normally takes several hours from start till the last dish is washed. Nothing better than being with my girls, jamming music, and trying food I was never exposed to before I was married.

Yes, it is cheesy taking pics of it, but I'm cheesy anyway so the two go hand in hand. Lol

Nope! What you are talking about is sharing a fun and enriching family activity. The phenomenon I was describing is something completely different.

clmeue37
05-12-2016, 12:12 PM
I discovered Facebook in its infancy when I started college in the fall of 2004 and used it almost daily until February of this year. Initially I used it for networking with other students on campus, setting up events, study groups, tutoring, etc. Years later I found myself watching videos and viewing pictures (mostly memes) of stuff that I am ashamed of myself now for laughing at. What a waste of our valuable time here on earth.

It wasn't until everybody and their mother were using it that I started to see how counter intuitive it can be to a healthy society. I partly blame social media for the divorce rate in this country, it can be detrimental to a healthy relationship. When I have friends over to the house they get to see pictures that hang on my actual walls and a real life, holditinyourhand, photo album filled with images of my family and friends, holidays, birthdays, and scenes from my travels around the country. We can share a meal instead of just showing the world (yes, the world. You really think facebook/the Internet can be made private with a mouse click?) a picture of the delicacy you have just prepared. I did enjoy the gun pages and local swap groups but I am currently surviving just fine, if not better than I was while using Facebook. Hell, you can't even delete your account anymore, all you can do is deactivate it, all it takes is a login to get back on it and all of your information, pictures, and friends pop right back up like you left them.

Personally i think my quality of life has improved since getting rid of it, but at the end of the day it's what you make of it and how you use it. I no longer spend part of every day looking at pictures of crap that everyone else has that I don't. If a friend of mine needs to talk about something, they know how to reach me and they know I'll listen, and I know they'd do the same for me. It means so much more to knock on someone's door or call them on the phone and visit/chat with them for a bit rather than sending them a message on Facebook saying "long time no see, how ya been?" or something of the sort. Get out there and live your life for you, not for your friends on Facebook.

To answer your question sir: No. I don't believe you are missing out on anything by not having a Facebook account.

Mickey Dunlap
05-12-2016, 12:19 PM
Face Book has been good for me personally and for my business. The response is quicker and bigger numbers for my business, and from what I have seen most the members on here are there too, and then some. One of the best things is I keep in touch with my family more then I ever had, that has been a big blessings. I have had nothing but good things happen on Face Book.

DohcBikes
05-12-2016, 01:45 PM
I discovered Facebook in its infancy when I started college in the fall of 2004 and used it almost daily until February of this year. Initially I used it for networking with other students on campus, setting up events, study groups, tutoring, etc. Years later I found myself watching videos and viewing pictures (mostly memes) of stuff that I am ashamed of myself now for laughing at. What a waste of our valuable time here on earth.

It wasn't until everybody and their mother were using it that I started to see how counter intuitive it can be to a healthy society. I partly blame social media for the divorce rate in this country, it can be detrimental to a healthy relationship. When I have friends over to the house they get to see pictures that hang on my actual walls and a real life, holditinyourhand, photo album filled with images of my family and friends, holidays, birthdays, and scenes from my travels around the country. We can share a meal instead of just showing the world (yes, the world. You really think facebook/the Internet can be made private with a mouse click?) a picture of the delicacy you have just prepared. I did enjoy the gun pages and local swap groups but I am currently surviving just fine, if not better than I was while using Facebook. Hell, you can't even delete your account anymore, all you can do is deactivate it, all it takes is a login to get back on it and all of your information, pictures, and friends pop right back up like you left them.

Personally i think my quality of life has improved since getting rid of it, but at the end of the day it's what you make of it and how you use it. I no longer spend part of every day looking at pictures of crap that everyone else has that I don't. If a friend of mine needs to talk about something, they know how to reach me and they know I'll listen, and I know they'd do the same for me. It means so much more to knock on someone's door or call them on the phone and visit/chat with them for a bit rather than sending them a message on Facebook saying "long time no see, how ya been?" or something of the sort. Get out there and live your life for you, not for your friends on Facebook.

To answer your question sir: No. I don't believe you are missing out on anything by not having a Facebook account.

LOVE this post.

wonderboy
05-12-2016, 09:54 PM
This is great discussion.

By saying it goes counter to some of my values, I guess I'm basing that on what I've observed and overheard people talk about at work or what my wife talks about seeing. I just get annoyed how some people have to recap their life via facebook and post every detail, and basically say "Look how great I am, look how brilliant my kids are, look at how much money I have, look at how great my marriage is, etc, etc". It seems to me that so much of what people put on facebook is put there simply to brag. It seems to me people are overcompensating and in fact are insecure about all those aspects of their life and feel the need to boost themselves up by posting crap on facebook. So, I may be getting an inaccurate idea of what it is like since I'm basing this on what I've heard from a few people.

What I like about this forum is that for the most part, we can avoid that type of stuff. Here, we are all interested in the same thing, and we all WANT to see everyone else's toys. Posts of cool machines, new acquisitions, or great buys are welcome. Of course, there is the occasional controversy or argument that breaks out here, but that is to be expected. It just seems more like real life here. Facebook to me seems to be so fake. But I guess that ignores the positive aspects of facebook that have been mentioned such as keeping in touch with distant family or reconnecting with old friends. From a business perspective, I can see it as almost mandatory to have a presence.

Thanks for all the opinions.

wonderboy
05-12-2016, 10:02 PM

The way you've stated it here is how I feel about things. It seems that with regard to personal friendships, things become very superficial on facebook.

AK47KID
05-13-2016, 01:19 AM

If you photograph food, have the decency to photograph your trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro. Lol thats what u tell them if they get out of hand with "im having this for dinner"

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

The_Steve_Man
05-13-2016, 03:36 AM
Facebook is what you make it. If you friend a lot of people, you have see most of the stuff they post and share. You can choose to not follow them and you won't see their food. Lol. There are some funny things on there and a lot of stuff I don't care about.

You can just follow the 3 wheeler pages if you want. I rarely friend anyone or accept friend requests anymore. I always look at their page to see what they post before I decide to friend them.

adamszwheeler
05-14-2016, 07:25 PM
Have not read much of this thread.... that said I have a facebook but its not active right now, there are a few 3wheeler groups there but like most of facebook you get a lot of negativity. I have not used mine in a few months. No interest...have signed back in here after 2 years soooooo....

AK47KID
05-15-2016, 12:24 AM
Have not read much of this thread.... that said I have a facebook but its not active right now, there are a few 3wheeler groups there but like most of facebook you get a lot of negativity. I have not used mine in a few months. No interest...have signed back in here after 2 years soooooo....
If everyone posted links in fb for www.3wheelerworld.com 3Wheeler groups on face book would fade away...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk