PDA

View Full Version : I need some help

scottwelder
05-11-2016, 01:05 PM
First off I would like to thank you very much for reading

I recently picked up what I think is a 350X but the motor is starting to tell a weird story. First of all the plate by the shifter says it only has 5 gears I thought they had 6? This motor also does not have a decompressor on the head. Is the decompressor detrimental to operation or is just a convenience to help kick it over. Instead there is just a recessed plug there. It also does not have the three little bolts and separate housing for the oil filter. The last thing is the drain plug appears to be on the drivers side. I have attached some photo's and I can attach more. The motor serial number is PE0IE-5008348, I can not find any info on this serial number. Also does anyone know of an online site where I can get all the electrical parts for this like coil and CDI unit. 231511231512231513

atc300r
05-11-2016, 01:19 PM
I don't think you have a 350x. It looks like an after market frame with an xr motor. Could be a Nicholson frame but Im just guessing. If you could get some pics of the whole trike would help. There are some members on here that know a lot more of the Nicholson built trikes than me.Cool score though.

DohcBikes
05-11-2016, 01:30 PM
Definitely an aftermarket frame. Bike engine. You have found something special. Lets see it!

scottwelder
05-11-2016, 03:47 PM
Thank you guys so much for the help

Here are some more pictures. And it does not have an oil cooler and I do not see the ports for one. How do I identify this motor.

I don't see a stock frame serial number either. 231526231527231528

Jwheeler
05-11-2016, 04:49 PM
Can you take a picture of the ass-end of the frame? Where the grab bar would be ! It would be more help on making a ID of the frame for you.

DohcBikes
05-11-2016, 06:51 PM
That's not a 350, thats an xr500 engine. I'm about 90% sure thats a nicholson 500. EDIT: 100% sure.

Headstock should be stamped "500X"

Step back and take a picture of the of the whole trike. You basically struck gold.

Yep, look at the back tires. Fox shock on the rear. Original to a nicholson. Very rare find these days. Congratulations!

Get with Mr. Clean here on the board, I believe he still has one.

For all we know its the one in this picture.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff223/motomanimal32/ATC/HB20001.jpg

Do the community a favor and change your thread title, so more can see and appreciate your excellent aquisition!!

Please take care of that bike, it is a very important part of ATC history. Nothing less than full correct restoration is in order.

If you desire the correct "spelled out" PRO VECTOR H-Trak tire for the front, I have a VERY nice one right here next to me. Feel free to PM.

scottwelder
05-11-2016, 07:08 PM
Thank you guys I will send more pictures tonight

DohcBikes
05-11-2016, 07:39 PM
Just a little extra info. The engine is from a 1979 XR500.

Mr. Clean
05-11-2016, 07:43 PM
Yes please more pics!!! I agree with Damon, its a Nicholson framed big bore!! And I agree with Damon on building it correctly. If you have any questions please let me know thru PM's.

Great score!!! Here are a couple pics of mine. Although its down to the frame now being restored.

yaegerb
05-11-2016, 09:46 PM
I hear the nicholsons are hard to work on. If you get frustrated and want to let it go keep me in mind :)

If it turns out to be a nick, Helluva score and helluva first post! I like this guy already.

In all seriousness though, if it is a Nicholson, please take it back to its former glory, no shortcuts! Mr. Clean or a member by the name of manbearpig. I am sure many others are the resident experts. Get to know them!

manbearpig
05-11-2016, 09:51 PM
Nice Pickle you got there...

ironchop
05-11-2016, 10:42 PM
Wow! Nice score. That's a significant find right there

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Mackus84
05-11-2016, 11:01 PM
Somebody school me on this bike. Im assuming theres probably not very many built. What are the numbers as far as how many? Very intriguing. Awesome find. Its crazy how these ultra rare bikes pop up like this. Like Dohc said, it could very well be the bike in that picture!

yaegerb
05-12-2016, 12:18 AM
And if you want to know what it could look like full restored I give you the following link.....

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/176709-Nicholson-500-Pro-Link?highlight=Nicholson

scottwelder
05-12-2016, 02:15 PM
Hey guys I want to thank you all so much for your help. Sorry I am late on the pictures but here are some more. So to ease everyone's thoughts yes I am going to take special care of it and I do want to restore it. The motor does kick over with some amazing compression. I am worried about where to find info and parts on this being it is so rare. Are they all honda parts from this or that type of bike? One of my pictures shows a mileage thing that looks factory is it? You guys feel free to look at the pictures and I welcome any and all advice

So now for the story behind this machine. There were two brothers and one of them was jet boat engine mechanic for the Budweiser cigarette boat back in the 80's in California. He owned this trike. I can only draeam that he got it straight from Nick Nicklson in California. Well about a year ago he passed away and the other brother kept it. Well sadly the last brother passed a few weeks ago and my father in law who is a handy man was helping clean out the property and found this trike for free! we thought it was a 350X and I was stoked just to have a 350X so I bought it off my father in law for $100. If I can find any paper work linking the original owner to Nick I will let you guys know.

If you guys want anymore pictures let me know.

So my first step is find all the electronics for it like the coil and CDI. where should I look. Should I get parts from a xr500 dirt bike?

Thank you guys so much for all your help231563231564231565231566231567231568

Mr. Clean
05-12-2016, 02:31 PM
The XR500 parts are all Honda. Looks like the Nicholson parts are there and the rest of what you need is first gen 200x.

Not quite sure what the contraption on the bars is for. Vacuum lines hooked to the fork bleeders and to a gauge, maybe they wanted to be able to add preload and blow fork seals.

Jwheeler
05-12-2016, 02:44 PM
Very cool score. As the other guys have posted, Manbearpig and Mr.Clean are the the guys to reach out to for answers on this trike.:D

atctim
05-12-2016, 03:09 PM
Great bike and very cool story behind the bike. I'll be watching this rebuild thread. You have a great knowledgeable support team here on 3WW.

Joseph Farrow
05-12-2016, 06:08 PM
Awesome Find!
Nick made several different versions of the frame. Your's appears to be the later style that used the 200x parts.
The early version used the ATC185-200s parts.
Again Awesome Find. Thanks for Posting and Welcome to the "500 Nick Club"!

Keep us posted on the progress. Get ready for the offerst to start coming in. lol

DohcBikes
05-12-2016, 06:10 PM
Yes, be sure to obtain a Honda factory service manual for a 1979 xr500, so that you have the correct specs, maintenance and rebuild info for the engine.

Mr. Clean
05-12-2016, 06:38 PM
Check under the frame where the foot pegs attach. This is a notorious spot for cracks in the frame. Also check the rear motor mount bolt holes, they tend to get oblong/worn out. The frame is chromoly so if you are going to weld, I would suggest it be with a TIG welder.

yaegerb
05-12-2016, 07:37 PM
Hey guys I want to thank you all so much for your help. Sorry I am late on the pictures but here are some more. So to ease everyone's thoughts yes I am going to take special care of it and I do want to restore it. The motor does kick over with some amazing compression. I am worried about where to find info and parts on this being it is so rare. Are they all honda parts from this or that type of bike? One of my pictures shows a mileage thing that looks factory is it? You guys feel free to look at the pictures and I welcome any and all advice

So now for the story behind this machine. There were two brothers and one of them was jet boat engine mechanic for the Budweiser cigarette boat back in the 80's in California. He owned this trike. I can only draeam that he got it straight from Nick Nicklson in California. Well about a year ago he passed away and the other brother kept it. Well sadly the last brother passed a few weeks ago and my father in law who is a handy man was helping clean out the property and found this trike for free! we thought it was a 350X and I was stoked just to have a 350X so I bought it off my father in law for $100. If I can find any paper work linking the original owner to Nick I will let you guys know.

If you guys want anymore pictures let me know.

So my first step is find all the electronics for it like the coil and CDI. where should I look. Should I get parts from a xr500 dirt bike?

Thank you guys so much for all your help231563231564231565231566231567231568

100 bucks...lol. Here's the good news. Nick is still around if you have to have the frame repaired. I would get to know him as well. From the pics, it looks like someone dropped a good penny on everything aftermarket for that bike back in the 80's....fork bleeders, tac, speedo. I bet at one time there was some $$$$ dumped into that. Get ready to bust out the checkbook for this restore. I am subscribed.

Jmoozy27
05-12-2016, 08:18 PM
Man, I have been keeping my eyes open for an aftermarket frame. I've had a an xr5 motor sitting on my bench for almost a year. You got almost the whole pickle for a bill. Dude, you have been blessed. Nice swipe...

fabiodriven
05-12-2016, 08:34 PM
Congratulations on the find! There is a starting procedure for these and it goes as follows;

Choke to your discretion depending on whether or not you require it.

Ignition switch off, gently find TDC then slowly bump the motor just past that.

Ignition switch on, kick with everything you've got. Using this method you're taking advantage of the rotational mass of the crank to bump the engine over. If you try to position the engine with the ignition on it can backfire. It happened to me once and luckily it just started the engine as I slowly bumped it past TDC, literally moved the kicker about an inch and it started! One of the strangest things I've ever seen. However, had it fired the other way I could have gone for a ride or broken something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Degoragon
05-13-2016, 12:24 AM
Incredible find man! that is definetly a sweet trike! Hopefully you post more pics in the future as you rebuild your "Nicky" 500!

coolpool
05-13-2016, 03:23 PM
My question is, we're that style of rear tire very popular back in the day? I've never seen one before and now I've them twice, OP pic and magazine. My thoughts are it's the same machine, coincidence?

RoscoW
05-14-2016, 01:46 PM
Coolpool, those tires are from Sand Tires Unlimited, they are still available . I have a set I have run on a 250R but they are old and in terrible shape. Fun tire in the Michigan sand with a nice comprimise between traction and sliding sideways, really nice if you end up on hardpack ground. I would guess they would excel in a desert environment where you have everything, hardpack , rocks, sand ……etc.

Ross..

http://www.sandtiresunlimited.com/sandtire1.html

Keepah Rolln
05-15-2016, 12:44 AM
Nice score!! Take your time and restore it..

scottwelder
05-16-2016, 06:17 PM
thank you everyone for reading and commenting. So the way I am explaining this ATC to other people that have never herd of it, is that it is a factory race ATC. Kinda like how now days Honda helps build a factory motocross race bike? Am I correct in explaining it that way?

Does anyone know how many of these were made or how to get into touch with Nick Nickelson? Does anyone know by chance what they are worth or what one sold for recently so I know how much to insure it for?

I have started looking over the frame and everything and there are no cracks seems to be in great shape. I wanted to see where I stood with the motor so I put fresh oil in it and proceeded to kick it over. Holly freaking crap this thing has compression. I sprayed a little bit of starting fluid (because I have the rust filled tank off right now) and I verified I have spark and I even went to a motorcycle junk yard here and put a better reading coil in (and it was not cracked like mine) but I cant even get one fire out of it. I do feel a slight bit of blow back coming out of the carb so my next step is to check the timing. I am wondering about the extent of engine work that is in this thing because even with blow back I have ridiculous compression and the compression release on the head has a plug in it? So I am wondering about valve and cam work. If you guys have any tips on this let me know.

I really appreciate everyone reading and subscribing to my thread I will posy frequent updates on how the restoration is going.

Dirtweed
05-16-2016, 07:54 PM
Very nice score there. I learn something new here all the time. Look forward to the build.

fabiodriven
05-16-2016, 09:25 PM
So the way I am explaining this ATC to other people that have never herd of it, is that it is a factory race ATC. Kinda like how now days Honda helps build a factory motocross race bike? Am I correct in explaining it that way?

Not exactly. Far be it for me to try to act like the racing expert because I am not. A factory backed Honda effort this is not. The aftermarket framed bikes such as the one you have would not have been run by Honda. There are other guys on here that know more than I do so I really cannot elaborate much more. It's very special but price tags vary with these things. It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay. I'd venture to guess insurance would be more of a concern once restored.

As far as the compression goes, my XL500R was an absolute bear to kick like I said in my other post. I hope those pointers work for you, they worked great for me.

DohcBikes
05-17-2016, 12:54 AM
Check the valve lash.

Don't be ashamed to take it to a professional bike technician for a hands on engine inspection. It's worth it. A small independent shop is my vote. ;)

pipeline triker
05-19-2016, 09:22 PM
Awesome find, and welcome to the boards. look forward to more pics and your progress.

Mackus84
05-25-2016, 11:26 PM
Any uodates on this beast?

scottwelder
05-31-2016, 02:38 PM
Okay so I got everything stripped and inventoried and I will send the frame out to paint this week. I will post pictures when it comes back from paint. Anyone know the Honda red factory paint code?

I do need help with this232258. Attached is a pricture of the front wheel spindle. It has this weird mileage counter thing on it. I want to pull the axle out of the hub to replace the wheel bearings because I am making everything new. I cannot for the life of me get the axle out and it seems stuck on this mileage counter gear drive thing. I have found documentation how how to replace wheel bearings but none of the documentation address this mileage counter gear drive. I also would like to eliminate this part but do they sell a spacer that would go in it's place. I did get the whole wheel off the fork tube this is just an older picture of this particular part.

I really appreciate the help on this one.

DohcBikes
05-31-2016, 02:48 PM
Loosen the 4-10mm nuts on the axle pinch cap then unthread the axle from the other fork. It might be seized in the hub. Hit It harder. If you damage the axle (try not to, use a punch to drive it out) I have an axle just let me know.

scottwelder
05-31-2016, 02:49 PM
I am thinking this will work in place of that mileage counter thing. If I can figure out how to get it off.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-Honda-ATC-200X-Front-Wheel-Spacer-OEM-85-/282001010858?hash=item41a891f0aa:g:Ki8AAOSwAvJXDAE k&vxp=mtr

scottwelder
05-31-2016, 02:51 PM
Loosen the 4-10mm nuts on the axle pinch cap then unthread the axle from the other fork. It might be seized in the hub. Hit It harder. If you damage the axle (try not to, use a punch to drive it out) I have an axle just let me know.

I have the axle out of the forks and pinch cap. The axle and assembly is no longer in the forks. I can not get the axle out of the wheel spindle because that mileage gear drive device.

Mr. Clean
05-31-2016, 03:33 PM
If you have the axle out of the forks, the bearings are most likely seized on the axle and need to persuade it out. May need a bigger hammer.

83-85 200x front hub and axles are dime a dozen, I have 6-7 or laying around if you need one.

DohcBikes
05-31-2016, 05:27 PM
Its not the speedo drive gear holding it. It's oxidation. Thread a nut on to the axle and smash it out of there.

Ranvier
03-16-2017, 02:39 PM
What an interesting read. Congrats on a great find. Sounds like you are tearing right into it. Enjoy. Will follow your build.

....One of the few places I needed impact power was the front axle.