PDA

View Full Version : Led lighting problem

Grmpy
05-16-2016, 11:32 AM
Hey guys, fairly new to the trikes. Haven't done a whole lot of work on bikes in the past but I'm a heavy duty mechanic and automotive mechanic as well. First I'll say I got this bike for free, with an LED light already wired in. It's an 1984 atc 200s. The light works pretty good at idle (not to the lights full potential) but dims down to almost nothing the more throttle I give it. I have read some discussions on converting to DC, but I don't want to put much money in this bike if I don't have too. Any ideas on what the problem might be? Stator? I'm not sure the wattage of the light but it's not much. thanks in advance for any help.

atctim
05-16-2016, 11:38 AM
You must have a regulator for your LED lights. The 200S does not have a regulator.

Grmpy
05-16-2016, 11:40 AM
You must have a regulator for your LED lights. The 200S does not have a regulator.

Just voltage regulator? I also just edited my post with pictures if that helps. Thank you.

atctim
05-16-2016, 01:07 PM
High beam = blue, low beam = white, ground = green from your stock wiring harness at the headlight. Yes - you MUST have a voltage regulator for this set up to work. The ATC200S did not have a battery - thus lighting only comes from the stator / lighting coil - and voltage fluctuates with engine speed. On a stock 200S the headlight is dim at idle and gets brighter as RPMs increase. It is getting the correct voltage at idle, but you are adding voltage above idle and I am surprised it hasn't yet destroyed the LED lights.

jb2wheels
05-16-2016, 03:55 PM
something like this (http://www.solomotoparts.com/MSR-Voltage-Regulator/?gclid=CMjv8_av38wCFQmQaQodRmoF_w)- cheap and easy

Grmpy
05-16-2016, 07:56 PM
something like this (http://www.solomotoparts.com/MSR-Voltage-Regulator/?gclid=CMjv8_av38wCFQmQaQodRmoF_w)- cheap and easy

Thanks for the link, however shipping is 40$ to canada :( .. would you happen to know if other models of bikes had them from factory I could wire up? have access to lots of parts in my area from a couple guys parting units out.