PDA

View Full Version : 1986 250r oe short track

Omlett
05-20-2016, 05:03 PM
I found this 86 250r locally it was in amazing shape and a really fair deal. I told my cousin about it and he bought it. We got it home and noticed something was different. After a little research we figured out it was an original short track version. It still had the original stickers from the factory in the shrouds. He put the new fender and seat on it, the original fenders are oem but not great, the original seat is the blue oem and is almost perfect. Our friend Alien told us it was rare. We're welcome to any useful info people might have about it. How rare are they? Are they safe to dune ride on? The sticker on the shroud says only for short track racing. Just wanting some opinions, we're trying to educate ourselves a little. Thanks.

bkm
05-20-2016, 08:33 PM
The short track tank kit was sold separately back in the day for increased steering lock for tighter turning. The kit came with tank, shrouds, lower triple tree, hoses, and radiator brackets to set the radiators further back.

The tank was smaller and held less fuel as a result, so if you're planning long rides you will be limited.

Awesome find. I also have one on my bike and is a must if you plan on tt or short track racing. A complete oem kit in good shape will bring as much as complete bikes.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160521/25ed2e11581c3e80ec08ccc6c2df7c96.jpg

Omlett
05-20-2016, 09:18 PM
Thank you I appreciate the information. That's a nice R.

Mr. Clean
05-20-2016, 09:29 PM
Agree with bkm, if you plan to dune it get an non short track kit. Looks to be in nice shape!! N

Nice score.

The_Steve_Man
05-20-2016, 10:01 PM
I would take that tank off and put it on a shelf until you do some research and decide what to do with it. It only holds a gallon and a half of gas, so it's not ideal for dunes.

That tank and shrouds appear to be in very good condition. As complete kit with lower triple, radiator mounts, and hoses can sell for we'll over a thousand dollars to right person.

Omlett
05-20-2016, 10:42 PM
Thanks, that's good advice. Is it only the lower triple that is different? Or both the lower and upper?

bkm
05-20-2016, 10:42 PM
Just the lower

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk