PDA

View Full Version : 1985 YTM-225 DRN Electrical Help

Kasper.
05-22-2016, 11:54 PM
Hi folks, I'm new here. I pulled my grandfathers 85 225 DRN out of the barn, where it has sat for a long time. I have an enormous amount of memories ripping around on it as a kid, and it was about to go to auction for scrap/parts. No way was I letting that happen. I've been working on it to get it running and hopefully get her brought back to her former glory. Lots of work to be done.

That said, it went from a pile of junk to me having it running reliably. Redid the fuel line, rebuilt the carb, etc. I had it up and running, albeit with a few minor issues, sometimes sputtering at idle, and trouble cold starting. But a quick shot of quick start gets it running and once its started she's golden. So off a fine start I think.

The kicker is I took it for a spin around the block and tested reverse etc, everything was good. But now out of nowhere, the electrical system is not working. Neutral light does not come on, pushing starter does nothing, etc.

Using the wiring diagram at: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/oldsite/files/Wiring/YTM225DRNDRS.jpg

I'm finding that I have power from positive terminal to the main switch, switch is good and brown wire off switch has power to the neutral light and then to the starter button. R/W from starter button has power all the way to the start circuit cut-off relay. Now the other R/W coming out of the start cut-off relay going to CDI and the other starter relay thing does NOT have power. But the Sky Blue does?! The Sky Blue connects the neutral switch to the neutral light and the start cut-off relay, and it is has power.

The bike is definitely in neutral, and the main switch is on, and Red/Brown/Sky Blue is powered. Is my line of reasoning in why the bike won't start and the neutral light will not come on is perhaps an issue with the neutral switch? My line of thought is that the neutral switch Sky Blue is powered, and will not go to ground unless the switch is closed, at which point the light will see 12v voltage drop across Br/Sb (vs the 0V difference it sees now) and the relay will activate?

I had the bike running and started off the battery one minute; and magically I have an electrical problem the next.

I would appreciate any advice, this is my first foray into automotive/ATV electrical systems. First time taking apart a carburetor for that matter as well...

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Kasper

Kasper.
05-24-2016, 04:49 PM
Update:

I redid the electrical connection to the neutral switch and cleaned it up. I'm finding now that if I ground the wire at the neutral switch, the light comes on and i can start the bike. I'm assuming that the neutral switch is done for if that bypass works but it isn't coming on automatically when the bike is in neutral?

Thanks

YamaBoss
05-25-2016, 12:49 AM
I'm wondering if its just your fuse. Did you check that?

Kasper.
05-25-2016, 12:54 AM
I'm wondering if its just your fuse. Did you check that?

No it's definitely not the fuse. I traced voltage and continuity all the way to main switch and beyond. The neutral switch line has voltage when the main switch is on.

I am now able to start the bike and get the neutral light on if I manually ground the wire coming out of the neutral switch, I'm thinking the switch is bad?

muthey
05-30-2016, 02:50 PM
yes the neutral switch it bad. it is still available from yamaha but has been repurposed for newer machines. here is the part number. Reverse Switch Assembly 136-82540-03-00