PDA

View Full Version : 1983 atc200

Chronic898
05-24-2016, 05:28 PM
Hey guys, I'm new to this site, and new to three wheelers so lend me your patience ;)
just picked up my first toy, 1983 big red 200. Not a beauty but not a beast either.
Seems to ride pretty good as far as I can tell, but sometimes it idles fine and sometimes it bogs out.
Sometimes I start it, it's idling good, and then I give it a little throttle and when it slows back down to idle it's slows to a lower idle than desired and bogs out.
Put a new spark plug in it, rode for not even ten minutes than took a look at it, the whole area around the electrodes is black, dry and sooty.
Any suggestions for me guys? All comments are appreciated, thanks.

Here's a link if you want to have a listen.
https://youtu.be/t1fSJ-lMJQk

Chronic898
05-24-2016, 06:35 PM
Pretty shiny at least

deejaycee_2000
05-25-2016, 03:32 AM
Welcome, I would just suggest a decent carb clean and a general service.

derrick81787
05-25-2016, 12:22 PM
It sounds like it's running rich. Stupid question, but you aren't running it with the choke on, are you?

Assuming that's not the case, I'd look at the carb like deejaycee_2000 said. Maybe make sure that the air filter isn't clogged as well.

I had a similar issue with my 1980 ATC 110 that was caused by retarded ignition timing. However, I think that a 1983 is CDI, not points, so that's probably not the issue here. Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong on that.

atctim
05-25-2016, 03:46 PM
1st off - it is not a big Red - it is an ATC200. Secondly, from years of wear, the needle wears thin and creates the problem you are experiencing. Myself and other members have had luck with eBay Chinese replacement carbs. Others have had terrible luck with them and will tell you to buy a rebuild kit for the carb. I frown on the rebuild kits from china for a good Japanese carb. All perspective and experience I guess. Regardless, your carb is worn out. You will also find it fouls spark plugs from this condition. Always keep a spare plug with you while riding it. Good Luck!