PDA

View Full Version : Honda 250sx oil and gas leaking after being hot

chevman51
05-26-2016, 02:06 PM
232117232118I have a question for everyone. I was pulling a small drag behind my 85 Honda 250sx in first gear and it smelled hot, I looked behind me and it puffed out a small amount of white smoke. I quickly turned it off and looked down and there was gas and white foamy looking oil leaking down my motor. I pulled the seat/Fenders off and it looks to be coming from a vent hose that comes up by the air box. There was white/brown foamy oil on top off the air box lid. I could not tell if the gas was leaking from there or some where else. The bike was running just fine when I turned it off, no noises or rattling or anything. Any ideas on what happened or how bad I screwed my motor up? Thank you!

RIDE-RED 250r
05-26-2016, 08:22 PM
Oil usually goes milky/foamy like that due to water contamination. It sound like your engine was puking oil out of the breather, and it would do that if the oil level is way over full. Could be over full due to water contamination. Let it sit awhile then check the oil level and color.

chevman51
05-27-2016, 12:33 AM
I drained the oil. No water was in it but there was lots of gas. How would gas get in there? 232143

RIDE-RED 250r
05-27-2016, 09:09 AM
Hard for me to tell from the pic how much oil you drained out, but it looks like it was way over full and if so would be the cause of your initial problem.

A sticking carb float, and/or faulty needle and seat can flood the engine with fuel like that. It will seep by the rings and end up in the base.

It might be a good idea to remove, disassemble, and thoroughly clean your carb. Be sure to check float height and adjust as needed. Also, check the fuel metering needle for deformed or damaged rubber tip. Replace the needle if the rubber tip is has any signs of damage or poor condition due to age.

Also, it's always a good idea to shut off the fuel when you park the machine. If the carb (specifically the float, needle and seat) are working properly, this problem doesn't happen. But inevitably at some point they will develop a problem, shutting off the fuel valve would prevent excess fuel being dumped into the engine should the float, needle, or seat fail to do their job.

chevman51
05-28-2016, 06:24 PM
Thank you for your info! I will be pulling the carb off this weekend to find out whats going on. I'm so relieved I didn't destroy the motor.