PDA

View Full Version : Restored VS Rebuild

El Camexican
05-30-2016, 08:20 PM
I often see the terms “restored” or “restoring” used on here, usually followed by a laundry list of planned mods. I’m not out to kick anyone in the nards, but there is a huge difference between restoring a trike and rebuilding it or modifying it.

Same applies to “original”, “mint” etc. i.e I just picked up an all original 250R, its mint and has a DG pipe, a West Coast swing-arm and some kind of a desert tank. Bad news is the frame is slightly bent and the air-box is missing

Pick the right words for your project; you’ll look that much more competent to those following your build :beer

http://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hsx/2007/01/Restoration-vs--Refurbishment/1396114.html

3 Wheel Drive
05-30-2016, 09:08 PM
We need a section for rattle can rebuilds, mabey a contest for best restore under a buck fifty!

El Camexican
05-30-2016, 09:13 PM
We need a section for rattle can rebuilds, mabey a contest for best restore under a buck fifty!

Back home we called them Ukrainian rebuilds. Basically you wash what you can off an engine with a low pressure lawn hose and then spray bomb it and advertise it as a rebuild.

Speaking of rebuilds how are your sweet Mopars doing these days?

yaegerb
05-30-2016, 09:18 PM
I often seeing the terms “restored” or “restoring” used on here, usually followed by a laundry list of planned mods. I’m not out to kick anyone in the nards, but there is a huge difference between restoring a trike and rebuilding it or modifying it.

Same applies to “original”, “mint” etc. i.e I just picked up an all original 250R, its mint and has a DG pipe, a West Coast swing-arm and some kind of a desert tank. Bad news is the frame is slightly bent and the air-box is missing

Pick the right words for your project; you’ll look that much more competent to those following your build :beer

http://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hsx/2007/01/Restoration-vs--Refurbishment/1396114.html

This is why I have always preferred the term resto-mod. There are only a handful of guys (maybe less than that) I know that are capable of doing an OEM restoration.

bkm
05-30-2016, 10:02 PM
Funny you mention this. I saw a couple of threads recently stating their bike was a full resto and I remembered back to when I first joined here, I too used the term "restoration" lightly, and several members jumped my asse for the incorrect use of the word. So I labeled my 250r a "Resto-Mod" and that seemed to calm them down a tad.

But, back then we had guys doing actual restorations which were in a class of their own and sometimes looked better than an original bike could have dreamed. Now were lucky to get any build threads around here.

El Camexican
05-30-2016, 10:10 PM
There are only a handful of guys (maybe less than that) I know that are capable of doing an OEM restoration.

Yea really. The guys that have done Franks, Tigers or Cagivas know all about that labor of love. Scouring the Earth for a clamp, or a funky headed bolt. Living where I do I don't think I could live long enough to do a full restoration of anything rare and I just don't see the value in restoring a Big three trike, at least not yet. Besides, adding the bling is half the fun!

onformula1
05-30-2016, 10:36 PM
Here my restoration (Resto?) attempt at a 1986 Tecate shock, first timer...lol

onformula1
05-30-2016, 10:38 PM
Here is the start-

El Camexican
05-30-2016, 11:00 PM
Barnett called. He said to tell you it only counts as a restoration if you used period correct Kawasaki brand shock fluid.

onformula1
05-30-2016, 11:03 PM
Barnett called. He said to tell you it only counts as a restoration if you used period correct Kawasaki brand shock fluid.
I did, KYB K2C, check the manual...lolhttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160530/eb1f2d2de2d6fa8a8d24c5bf64a3a225.jpg

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Tapatalk

El Camexican
05-31-2016, 12:43 AM
I never doubted you!:lol:

3 Wheel Drive
05-31-2016, 01:01 AM
Back home we called them Ukrainian rebuilds. Basically you wash what you can off an engine with a low pressure lawn hose and then spray bomb it and advertise it as a rebuild.

Speaking of rebuilds how are your sweet Mopars doing these days?

I used a low pressure lawn hose first then like my 3 wheelers I just slapped some stickers on them so they look faster! :naughty:

onformula1
05-31-2016, 01:44 AM
I never doubted you!:lol:

It is very good oil, expensive but very good.

ironchop
05-31-2016, 06:32 PM
.....look at my funky cold patina ....bra !!

Holy shYte that's FKKN FUNNY!

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

ironchop
05-31-2016, 06:34 PM
That KXT shock looks phenomenal, Milner..better than new

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

RIDE-RED 250r
05-31-2016, 08:53 PM
I'm with you Nico, I fully appreciate a true restoration, but what lays my hair back (what's left of it) is a good resto-mod. :beer

coolpool
05-31-2016, 10:40 PM
I tend to see a lot of the fixer uppers as going through two phases. In the "preservation" phase it involves cleaning, painting, replacing some cosmetic items, etc to prevent further deterioration. Then it's followed by the "safety" phase to replace bearings, brake shoes, cables etc. At the end of it most rigs look and ride nice; we all win! I also used the term "restoration" loosely a few years back.

83ATC185
06-01-2016, 08:25 AM
And, the more time that passes, the blurrier the line between restoration and rebuild becomes....

But at this point alls you gotta do to find a 100% original, unmolested, barn find, rare, restored, survivor, spray-bombed, ziptied fendered trike is search your local craigslist :lol::lol:

IMO the fault for the lack of distinction is as much the buyer's as it is the seller.

Jd110
06-01-2016, 10:10 AM
Here's my fixer upper:232286

yaegerb
06-01-2016, 10:17 AM
Here are some examples: All of these are in my opinion.

These two are resto-mods

These two are basic cleanups

I have yet to do a true OEM restoration because I don't have the pockets, time or paint codes to do a job that say, Mike at vintage could do.

deathman53
06-01-2016, 02:13 PM
I've been hearing in NJ, it is becoming difficult to register a car as "historic" because the guidelines for "historic" are clearer. In the past, many would vastly improve the motor, chassis, brakes and suspension on a car they are "restoring" and they resister it as historic. Not so much anymore, Historic vehicles need to be inspected before being registered as "historic". If anything on the vehicle was improved vastly upon how the vehicle originally came, it can't be registered as historic. People registered their corvette, camaro, mustang, etc as historic, even though it was only used for drag racing as historic so they can drive it around and not have to get it inspected. The state finally caught up with that. Yes, there is a big difference between restore and resto-mod. My atvs are resto-mod, even though a good bit of the parts are original. Unless it was gonna be a garage queen, why would I want to put on the the stock balloon tires and inferior stock suspension, along with motor that doesn't make much power????? Also resto-mod includes using newer parts off current model/recent available to replace older inferior parts. A true restoration, is exactly how you would have got a from the dealer floor, in anything that is very difficult and can be very expensive to do. I worked with a guy who restored corvettes(2-3 a year), he had to hunt down over the globe to find a certain style bolt. It is truly a art and dedication to "restore" a vehicle.