PDA

View Full Version : 1985 Honda atc 70 spark- could use some help.

Kroy33
05-31-2016, 06:50 PM
Ok. So picked up a 1985 atc 70. No spark. Did some initial trouble shooting and felt that it could be a coil.

Installed new coil and still no luck. Took the on/off switch wiring off totally. Getting 6-9 volts AC from stator.

The stator will run a 6 volt lamp. Once i connect the new or old coil it will no,longer light the bulb. Like it gets grounded....??

Has to be simple not sure what I am missing.....seems like stator is ok?

Hoping you guys can help!

Thanks

shortline10
05-31-2016, 06:55 PM
Points are always the first thing to replace , even if the look good .

Kroy33
05-31-2016, 06:59 PM
Ok.. I did not think the 1985 had points but I'll check it out. do you think the VoLTS from stator is right?

wonderboy
06-01-2016, 09:45 PM
Your lights and ignition are two separate coils. If one affects the other, then your wiring is not correct. Get the service manual so that you can see the wiring diagram. It is not a very complicated wiring, but you need to make sure things are hooked up correctly.

Replace the points like shortline suggests. Point gap is critical to proper spark. The gap determines the ignition timing. Again, the manual has a really good explanation on how to check it. I use a test light to check when the gap is open and closed. This lets you tweak the gap with a screwdriver to fine tune it to get the timing just right.

By the way, all the 3-wheeler 70's have points. The 4-wheeler 70's used CDI (at some point, not sure of the details...)

gimmeamidget
06-02-2016, 10:50 AM
rub a piece of sandpaper between the point contacts really seems to help if its been sitting a while and you dont want to replace points. But like stated set pount gap and it should spark.

HoldMyBeer
08-03-2016, 06:32 PM
I'm in the same boat and haven't seen a solution yet. Any luck with yours?