PDA

View Full Version : 16 tooth starter reduction gear? 1985 250sx

TrashTrike
06-01-2016, 12:29 AM
Hi, my '85 250sx starter reduction gear is all chewed up (starting it off starting fluid alone wasn't the best idea) and I can't seem to find a replacement that doesn't have the 18 tooth center gear. I've counted 16 teeth on mine and believe the 1985 250sx and big red 250 share this starter reduction gear. 43 teeth on the outer ring. Any help would be appreciated! Here are some pictures of the gear I pulled from my machine.

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii40/xzachx2112/reductiongear1_zpsssshknsp.jpg

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii40/xzachx2112/reductiongear4_zpsx8qlyswn.jpg

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii40/xzachx2112/reductiongear3_zpsefpxobaj.jpg

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii40/xzachx2112/reductiongear2_zpsphwmupso.jpg

UPNATM
06-01-2016, 06:34 PM
If you don't have any luck here, check ebay. Ive seen a bunch on there lately.

wonderboy
06-01-2016, 09:28 PM
Still available new from Honda.

28135-HA0-315
About $50 from the on-line guys. Comes with both the #11 and #12 gears in the parts fiche.
http://www.cyclepartsnation.com/oemparts/a/hon/506baa5df870023420a212af/left-crankcase-cover

TrashTrike
06-02-2016, 07:35 PM
Still available new from Honda.

28135-HA0-315
About $50 from the on-line guys. Comes with both the #11 and #12 gears in the parts fiche.
http://www.cyclepartsnation.com/oemparts/a/hon/506baa5df870023420a212af/left-crankcase-cover

Thank you for the reply! I think we are getting closer... However, the parts catalog on that site says "27T" with the starter reduction gear, not sure if that is the amount of teeth on the outside or means something else (mine has 43 teeth on the outside).

Also found this one with an image for reference with the same part number 28135-HA0-315 and I counted 14 teeth on the center gear? http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Honda-ATC250ES-ATC250SX-TRX250-Starting-Gear-28135-HA0-315-/291086372816

Can I use one with 14 or 18 teeth in the center gear or will that just chew up the other starter gears?

I appreciate any and all help, I've been able to answer a lot of my own questions by searching threads but I just cannot find any info on the elusive 16 tooth starter reduction gear anywhere on the internet. Helps to be able to ask experts like you guys! thank you!

TrashTrike
06-02-2016, 07:40 PM
Upon further review, it looks like a set of two gears with the gear in the images in my first post and the other gear.. so theoretically if i buy the gear set and replace both they will match up?

TrashTrike
06-03-2016, 10:46 AM
I posted another reply thanking everyone for the help, don't know why it did not show up. Anyways thank you guys!

I think I am going to buy the 28135-HA0-315 gear set. It has a different tooth count then my current gear set but includes both gears and the shaft so it should work. My other friend with a 250sx said its an updated design that won't break as easily?

Also, has anyone ordered from cycle parts nation before? how fast is the shipping? customer service, etc..

Thanks in advance!

wonderboy
06-05-2016, 02:17 PM
I have used cyclepartsnation before. Their shipment timing is comparable to the other on-line sites. I see you are in Detroit (or Detroit area). I'm in Livonia. Cyclepartsnation is actually M&M Powersports over by Kalamazoo. If you know that you'll be in the area, you can select "pickup at store" when you order on-line and avoid the shipping charges. Another place, pawpawcycle.com offers even lower on-line prices and also offers local pickup (in Paw Paw, MI)... It's a couple hours from here, but I regularly go that way so I just pick up my orders when I'm in the area. Just something to think about.

TrashTrike
06-10-2016, 12:40 PM
I have used cyclepartsnation before. Their shipment timing is comparable to the other on-line sites. I see you are in Detroit (or Detroit area). I'm in Livonia. Cyclepartsnation is actually M&M Powersports over by Kalamazoo. If you know that you'll be in the area, you can select "pickup at store" when you order on-line and avoid the shipping charges. Another place, pawpawcycle.com offers even lower on-line prices and also offers local pickup (in Paw Paw, MI)... It's a couple hours from here, but I regularly go that way so I just pick up my orders when I'm in the area. Just something to think about.

Thanks for the tip! I'll check those out for sure. Running out of time before Trikefest

atc007
06-10-2016, 02:12 PM
Just saw this. Your one way bearing in your flywheel is shot,which caused this. Make sure you replace it and obviously check your starter splines very good for damage also.

TrashTrike
06-13-2016, 03:03 PM
Just saw this. Your one way bearing in your flywheel is shot,which caused this. Make sure you replace it and obviously check your starter splines very good for damage also.

I've been reading that it is pretty likely that bearing is shot. When I use the kick start, it will free spin every couple of kicks. Is this also an indication that one-way bearing is bad?

Also, being drunk and starting the trike on starter fluid is what caused this.. but the bearing probably didn't help hahahaha

atc007
06-13-2016, 03:41 PM
The bearing slipping for your kickstarter is in behind your clutch. When one is bad the other usually is also. Both are indicators of very bad maintenance/dirty oil. Get 2 new bearings if you think the troubles will end there. It may become a money pit quick if it's hard starting and has these issues.

TrashTrike
06-13-2016, 03:49 PM
The bearing slipping for your kickstarter is in behind your clutch. When one is bad the other usually is also. Both are indicators of very bad maintenance/dirty oil. Get 2 new bearings if you think the troubles will end there. It may become a money pit quick if it's hard starting and has these issues.

This trike was abused in a past life but has held up well mechanically. Oil was clean when I bought it and I have changed the filter and oil twice already so luckily that is not an issue. I replaced the carb and this thing starts first kick so I'm hoping nothing major is wrong with it, just spins every couple of kicks if its not at TDC.

So there are two different one-way bearings.. one for the kick, one for electric? When I spin the electric start gears by hand, they move one direction and not the other. Is there a better way to check if the electric start one-way bearing is bad?

By the way, thank you for this info!

TrashTrike
06-13-2016, 03:57 PM
Oh and to clarify, I have not had hard starting issues. The electric start worked flawlessly until I loaded the carb up with starting fluid and it back fired when trying to start with the electric start. I have since installed a new carb and gotten rid of the starting fluid lol

obama
06-14-2016, 12:45 AM
My 250sx seems to be having the same exact problems. Do you ever hear a whirring noise and then a click right after you shut off the motor? I'm pretty sure that's the one way bearing on the right side of the motor and as atc007 said. But I think it could also be the other one way clutch on the left side of the motor. Hope this helps!

btw I'm totally not a lizard or anything..

TrashTrike
08-03-2016, 11:36 PM
You totally are a lizzard, and you ordered the reduction gear from the website mentioned above and it was the wrong one! It was too thick.. any one else have any input on this? surely I'm not the only one who has had to replace this gear. both of these trikes are 1985s and have the same gear pictured above, but we cant find a replacement