PDA

View Full Version : 84 big red 200es voltages to cdi

gravismaximus
06-03-2016, 12:57 PM
hi everyone, my big red has died! little back story, driving along and it would stumble/ hesitate and finnaly die depending on how much you have the throttle on (less would make it run longer). after a wait 10 Seconds it would start and you could go another 15 min and the same thing. at first i thought coil was getting wet, so sprayed it all down no problems found. next trip out same thing but i noted it seems to happen when i hit some hard bumps, but quickly got proven wrong has i dies the next time on pavment from trail to trail. so ive taken all the wiring connection apart and cleaned and checked for rub threws, made the way over due adjustments valve adj, cam chain, clutch, new air filter, new plug. and its never run better after a carb adjustment. next time out no problems (yea fixed it). it sat for about 2 weeks and started it, ran for about 2 min befor i started riding and noticed very quickly that above 2500rpm that it would run like crap like its not enough gas/spark but it ran and didnt die (only rode it for 5 min with my kids around the house) i figured id just have to do another carb adjustment. next time out to it same thing started and ran for about 2 min but this time it died as i put it into gear. had a heck of a time to start it again and even then it died seconds later (made it out of the garage). so dont know if it has anything to do with when it use to die or not but either way it dont start now.

ok what im actually trying to find out, got out the shop manual after checking for gas (has coming form tank) and spark (zap cheap spark tester, it has spark) so i spryed some carb cleaner in the carb thinking maybe the carb had gotten something in it, not even a pop/ backfire.??? compression test is good??????????? i have spark gas and compression, it should at least backfire. so being a auto tech that i am i have run into the weak spark diag before in which as i recall when i got zapped it wasnt bad. so i took some measurements while cranking at the cdi test meter ground prob on ground hot lead on bk/y ign wire shows 2.5-3 negative dc voltage at the ign coil (cdi plugged in)?? unpulgged cdi- bk/r wire coming from stator shows 27 ACv no reading coming from the pulse generator blue/y wire and confirmed the ground and kill switch wires are good from cdi. trying to find specs in the manual and no can find. the ohm test on the pulse gen is 29.5
ok what im actually trying to find out,what should i have coming to the cdi on each wire is what i need to know to proper diag this thing. any help would be nice thanks

350for350
06-04-2016, 10:51 PM
You can buy a service manual or else download one at oscarmeyer.net. Either way, you'll be able to find the specs and the proper way to test your cdi.

AmberWild
01-10-2018, 02:48 PM
Hi I wish I could help. I am having intermittent spark issues. Got it ripping and went for a great ride. Parked it in the garage and next day...no spark. It was running when parked. I get about 2 volts in the bk/y wire to spark coil, but no voltage at where the spark plug wire attaches to coil. This must mean the spark coil is broken? Is 2v enough power for spark coil? I also have a manual and it does not speak of voltage specs...if only someone could help!

ironchop
01-10-2018, 05:14 PM
Hi I wish I could help. I am having intermittent spark issues. Got it ripping and went for a great ride. Parked it in the garage and next day...no spark. It was running when parked. I get about 2 volts in the bk/y wire to spark coil, but no voltage at where the spark plug wire attaches to coil. This must mean the spark coil is broken? Is 2v enough power for spark coil? I also have a manual and it does not speak of voltage specs...if only someone could help!That sounds way too low.

Read post #4 in this thread. Lots of helpful info in there. Welcome, btw.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?t=163954

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk