PDA

View Full Version : 84 200es pulse generator

gravismaximus
06-06-2016, 08:24 AM
trying to find out if the pulse generator produces its own voltage and sends it to the cdi or does it get voltage from the cdi. im sure my problem is one or the other (cdi/pulse gen). my pulse gen does ohm out good but no signal on my blue and yellow wire. green wire is good ground. knowing how is spouse to work will help me order the right part. thanks

YTZ drew
06-06-2016, 04:40 PM
There should be an ac voltage produced by the pulse generator when turning the engine over, measured between the two wires. Neither wire should have continuity to ground, and the voltage should only be measurable between the two wires, not between one wire and ground. Hope that helps!

gravismaximus
06-07-2016, 11:32 AM
ok, how much ac voltage should i see? while cranking i get .2 -.3 acv and after i do get it started its at .5 give it some gas and itll go to .7 acv so is under 1 full acv. can any one verify what your 200es pulse gen is putting out. when i said green wire is good ground i wasnt testing pulse gen its self but rather where the green hooks to green and goes to ground.

wonderboy
06-07-2016, 06:01 PM
If it is running, I don't think you have a problem with the pulse generator electrical circuit. Regardless of what voltage you are reading, the pulse generator is just providing a firing timing signal. There is a separate coil under your flywheel providing the power for the spark.

For reference, the pulse generator coil should measure between 20 and 30 ohms (between the blue/yellow and the green wire from the coil). There is an air gap requirement too between the rotor and coil. Finally, the ignition timing can be adjusted by rotating the plate that the pulse generator is mounted on. I don't see the details in the 200ES manual, but I do find it in the 200S manual. I think that the engines have a lot in common, so it would be a good place to reference for more details on some of these checks.