PDA

View Full Version : Front axle removal 1984 honda 200es

ATC200esbigred
06-12-2016, 11:06 PM
Hey guys I'm in a bit of a pickle. I need to change the front tire and in doing so I have to remove the axle but my luck has caused me to have trouble getting the axle out. I have used a while can of PB Blaster and tried tapping on the axle to free any corrosion carefully but I am getting no results. Any advice would be appreciated.

wonderboy
06-13-2016, 06:52 AM
That is a known trouble spot. The solution will depend on how badly corroded things are inside that hub. The problem is that there is a long steel sleeve between the inner races of the front wheel bearings that the front axle bolt slides through. The bolt and sleeve will corrode together. You may have good luck and it isn't stuck too badly, but in my case, the two parts might as well have been welded together. My solution was a sawzall to cut the bolt, and of course an e-bay replacement (bolt and spacers).

Some tips:
1. Wailing on the end of the bolt will quickly destroy the threads on the end. Put the nut back on backwards (castle side away from the hammer blows) and use it to take the hammer blows.
2. It won't work on the 200ES front axle since it doesn't use a hex head on the head of the bolt, but in other situations, repeatedly hitting the bolt with an air impact in both directions (tighten, loosen) can help free up bolts like this.
3. When you do eventually get this all apart and are putting it back together, invest in some anti-seize compound and apply it LIBERALLY to the axle before sliding it back through the spacer. Make this part of annual (or at least every couple years) maintenance. Pull out all bolts running through sleeves or aluminum and slather with anti-seize.