PDA

View Full Version : 85 Big Red 250ES swingarm removal issues

deejaycee_2000
06-14-2016, 10:04 AM
Hi Guys

I'm having some swing arm problems .... I watched all the videos etc on how to remove my swingarm on my Big Red 250ES so that I can install my drive shaft boot. Did all the preparation etc. Seems easy enough. I fabricated my own tool to remove the pivot bolt and lock nut (here in South Africa we do not have the wonderful world of ebay on call unless you want to wait 2 months .... which I don't). The right hand side bolt and lock nut came out no problem, the left hand side pivot bolt (the side by the drive shaft) does not wanto budge at all. I broke my tool trying to remove that side pivot bolt. Welded it up again, broke again and welded it up another time and then snapped the tool in half. I can see that this bolt must have been a problem before because there are some hammer and chisel marks on that bolt. I have soaked it in WD40 and have yet to try some heat, but will try that when I have fabricated a new stronger tool. I would appreciate any suggestions or help. Im not sure if the swingarm will actually pull off with only the one removed because the drive shaft itself hold it in place, if it was the other bolt it probably would have worked. I'm too scared to force anything as parts don't exist here. I'm starting to think it is probably easier for me to just remove the engine to install the drive shaft boot than waste my time on this thing. Any advice?

TrashTrike
06-16-2016, 11:52 AM
Heat it with a blow torch and shock it with penetrating oil (PB blaster) to loosen the bolt. You need heat to get the bolt out.

Also, I have not done this myself, but I have heard you can replace the drive shaft boot without removing the swing arm. The drive shaft is spring loaded (so it can extend and return as the swingarm moves up/down) and I have heard you can push the drive shaft toward the rear of the ATC and slide it off the splines and fit the boot around the shaft. I have not done this myself, but will be trying it when I get my new boot

coolpool
06-16-2016, 01:32 PM
I'm thinking out loud here; could you pull the rear diff off the swingarm and remove the driveshaft that way? Then you could replace the boot without removing the swingarm.

TrashTrike
06-16-2016, 03:47 PM
I'm thinking out loud here; could you pull the rear diff off the swingarm and remove the driveshaft that way? Then you could replace the boot without removing the swingarm.

I know the big red has a different swingarm than the 250sx, but on my 250sx the driveshaft will not slide out the back of the swing arm. You need to remove the swing arm to get the shaft out (forward). I know this because I installed my swingarm before I put the driveshaft in and had to take the swing arm back off :rolleyes:

coolpool
06-16-2016, 08:05 PM
I know the big red has a different swingarm than the 250sx, but on my 250sx the driveshaft will not slide out the back of the swing arm. You need to remove the swing arm to get the shaft out (forward). I know this because I installed my swingarm before I put the driveshaft in and had to take the swing arm back off :rolleyes:

You could very well be right. It would make sense since the U-Joint is so big compared to the driveshaft.

TrashTrike
06-20-2016, 02:04 PM
Thinking about it... You should be able to get the drive shaft boot on without removing the swing arm by taking the rear axle and differential off, the drive shaft will slide back enough to come off the output shaft but won't come out all of the way. Should be able to slide a new boot on with the drive shaft pulled back

deejaycee_2000
06-22-2016, 02:58 AM
I also thought you can just push the drive shaft a little and just slip the boot past the gap but apparently that doesn't work (I asked this question to the guy posting his video on how to remove the swingarm) at this stage it seems easier to just unbolt the engine and move it enough to slip the boot on ....

deejaycee_2000
06-27-2016, 02:51 AM
Ok so I am just posting as reference, incase anyone else find this thread usefull .... you can not just push the drive shaft back to slip on a new boot (I tried this in all possible ways) the easiest way would be to remove your swing arm, this way you can also service the swingarm bearings and seals etc. My one swingarm bolt unfortunately did not wanto come out so I had to unbolt the engine. This was not too painful as I had the carb and air box out anyway as I am still waiting for carb parts. Unbolting the motor was quick and easy but moving it little by little just enough to get the drive shaft lose was quite challenging when you are doing this solo. Luckily with the help op my pulley system and trusty old car jack I could move the engine just enough clockwise to slip the boot on, grease the drive shaft, all without having to undo the starter cables, reverse switch etc. Putting it back together was much easier and quicker. But you looking at about a 2 hour job.

TrashTrike
06-27-2016, 08:01 PM
Good info for reference. I have to fix my shifter mechanism and I'm considering pulling the engine to get the metal bits out and clean, do the one way clutch and install a new driveshaft boot. I'm on the fence if I want to pull the engine or just leave it, sounds like making a lot more work for myself if I can just do the shifter and clutch with the engine on..