PDA

View Full Version : Mad Max K5 project...

Caminofeld
06-15-2016, 11:25 AM
Well with another kid on the way I'm on a tight budget, so I've been having some fun with my old '88 K5. My Wife and I bought it as a cheap ($1k) snow truck to get out of our crazy driveway a few years back when we had 2wd vehicles. Now that we both have 4wd and the K5 roasted it's clutch it has become a project vehicle. I've always loved Jeeps in the Summer with no top/doors, so this is the poor man's version. I just got a 52" led light, a used brush bar, jerry can for the tailgate, roll-on berliner for the floor, vinyl seat covers, and 2 fake skulls for the front:) Just call me Lord Humongous, ruler of the wasteland!

ironchop
06-15-2016, 11:57 AM
What's the deal with "roll-on bed liner"? Like paint roller applied?

I'm interested because I'm about to strip the cab on my dentside while the motor is away and I might do something like that on the cab floor.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Caminofeld
06-15-2016, 02:27 PM
Exactly….or brush if that's your preference. The former owner put sound deadening foam under the carpet…but did it upside down so the spongy foam part was waterlogged and resting against the floorpan for years. I removed all of that, wire-wheeled the surface rust, tacked patching over the holes, and should be ready to apply next time I have a free evening. I'll let you know how it goes and if I run into any problems.

Caminofeld
10-04-2016, 09:20 PM
Well the weather finally got a little chilly and they passed some new stupid laws in Maryland that allow Police to arbitrarily ticket you for "safety violations"…although according to all the Police I talked to there aren't any set rules. I enjoyed the heck out of this beater over the Summer (and pissed off quite a few car owners at local shows when my P.O.S. got more attention than their 5-6 figure resto's), but I think it's time to put the doors back on. I have a saggy spring on the driver side rear; with 1.5" less height than my slightly saggy passenger rear spring…so I bought 3" blocks and am cutting one down to 1.5" to even things out and give me an additional 1.5" overall in the rear. I know it's not recommended, but for a $20 used kit versus $300 for a pair of new leafs on a super-budget truck I'll take my chances. The front pic is a stock headlight on one side and a 4x6 LED light on the other. The pair is in, only cost $50, had to reverse the polarity, and it's now bright as day for my old eyes. I'll post more as I do more to it…but I've taken the kids wheeling twice with no damage other than a cracked windshield and an angry Wife:)

YTZ drew
10-04-2016, 10:51 PM
Love it! Nice shop by the way, looks like a pretty good size space to work in. Is that you cheezin' in the background?