PDA

View Full Version : Front axle

jmykel86
06-19-2016, 04:30 AM
Is there anywhere I can buy a new front axle, or do I have to find a serviceable used one. I have a 83 200e big red my castle nut won't draw tight, I even tried a new one it starts threading on then it just spins, it goes on just enough to put the cotter pin in.

flynfish
06-19-2016, 09:48 AM
Would it be able to have the threads recut. Would think that would work

the only time I will be easy is when I'm killed by death

wonderboy
06-19-2016, 12:41 PM
The front axle is no longer available new.

Here is what you can do to find this stuff out. There are a bunch of on-line sites that you can order Honda OEM replacement parts from. There are probably hundreds of sites. A popular one is Service Honda. I use a local place by me called Cycle Parts Nation. You can use pretty much any of the websites and search based on your year and model. Once you get to the proper area of the machine, you'll see if the system has a price and the order button available for the part you want.

Check out this link:
http://www.cyclepartsnation.com/oemparts/a/hon/506f90e1f8700229747b97e6/front-wheel

Notice how part reference #4 doesn't list a price and there is no button to add it to your cart? Discontinued. Your only option is to find one on here in the classifieds, or e-bay.

Regarding recutting the treads: if the nut is spinning without tightening, then something is stripped (obviously). If its the axle, recutting the threads isn't going to help, the material is gone.

yellowoctupus
06-20-2016, 02:41 AM
Regarding recutting the treads: if the nut is spinning without tightening, then something is stripped (obviously). If its the axle, recutting the threads isn't going to help, the material is gone.

True...however, if you know anyone with a lathe, they should be able to knock out some new threads (albeit a smaller diameter of course) to get you going again. Or you could laydown new material with a welder, then back to the lathe to get the correct threads put 'back on'.

That being said, it might be easier/cheaper to just find a used $20 axle...

jmykel86
06-21-2016, 05:32 AM
I'm looking for a good used one now if anyone has one and wants to part with it let me know.