PDA

View Full Version : 1983 Honda 200X shakedown. Lost spark after 15 minuites.

Rob Canadian
06-20-2016, 09:25 PM
Well. I got this 200X weeks ago. It needed some things. Got all the mechanical things done. Rear carrier bearings, brakes, New chain and sprockets.

Fresh gas, oil change, new plug and air filter. Time to run it up. Fired up first kick. Ran good for 15 minuites then just died on the trail... Boom. No spark.

I did a bit of a search. Looking for wiring diagrams and test procedures. Sorry if I missed the boat on where they are on the forum. Maybe I can't access them as I am noobie(?)

yaegerb
06-20-2016, 11:01 PM
Bust out the manual and meter and start ohming....could be a number of things. Likely culprit is stator.

JacobMonster
06-21-2016, 11:52 AM
Time to run it up. Fired up first kick. Ran good for 15 minuites then just died on the trail... Boom. No spark.

I agree with Yaeger.
Mine would have weak spark and die, then it wouldn't start, then all of a sudden start. Bad ignition coil.
It would be a good idea to check for nicks in the wiring harness, bad connectors, etc.

Let us know how your tests go bud.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

Rob Canadian
06-21-2016, 07:25 PM
Downloaded the Owners manual and the Repair manual tonight. :cool:

I did go out to have a boo at it. I have spark now. I did find a broken wire. Yellow. Left hand side. Comes off the "Alternator". And yes I have no lights. hehe.

Going to take it into work. Test a couple things. Was hoping to have "no" spark tonight as it is hard to test stuff when it works.

Wanted to pop the CDI cover off. Screws will not come out. No biggie. Take it into work.