PDA

View Full Version : 1984 ATC 70 ignition wiring help

JMATC70
06-22-2016, 07:24 PM
Hi all! I am fixing up an 84' ATC 70 that I recently bought. So far I have replaced the piston/rings/cylinder, rebuilt/cleaned the carb, and just got in a new stop/run switch and ignition coil. The bike had an aftermarket kill switch and wires spliced all around. Trying to figure out what the stock wiring is (electrical is not my strong point).

I've seen the wiring diagrams. Curious about the wire that was cut coming from the left case (is that just a ground), and where I need to connect my new coil and stop switch to. And if I need more than just those to get her going. Thank you!

wonderboy
06-23-2016, 10:35 AM
If you have the wiring diagram, then the color of the factory wires will tell you what their function was (or should be). The nice thing Honda did on most 3-wheelers is to use a common color coding scheme for the wiring.

The black wire is the wire that connects from your points under the flywheel to the coil lead (in the case of your new coil, the black with yellow stripe). The coil grounds to the frame through the metal tabs. The kill switch simply connects to the same black wire to the coil (black wire) and the green wire goes to ground. To kill the motor, the switch closes (connects) the black to ground and dumps the power that would feed the coil to ground, killing the spark.

The other wire coming out from the crankcase is from a lighting coil (green accurding to the manual) and neutral switch (light green according to the manual). The lighting coil would be used to provide AC power to a headlight. Neither wire needs to connect to anything.

All you need is the black wire to feed your coil, and the kill switch to ground the coil out when you want to shut down.

If you aren't able to get spark, you'll need to check your point gap and condensor. Even if you are getting spark, it is important that your points are set correctly since this sets your ignition timing.

JMATC70
06-23-2016, 03:59 PM
Frank-

Thank you for the response and advice. The white with green stripe wire that was cut coming from the alternator was throwing me for a loop. The black wire, kill switch, and coill seem straight forward. Leaving that white and green wore cut (and not grounded or connected to anything) is ok?

Jake

wonderboy
06-24-2016, 07:20 AM
I think so. As long as the black wire is truly the wire from the points, then the others don't matter (no matter what they might have been connected to).