PDA

View Full Version : 60mm REAR Differential Pinion Bearing Nut Socket

UncleJerm76
06-24-2016, 09:51 AM
Replacing the diff bearings was going great until I got to the pinion bearing! Ugh that dang specialized monster Pinion Socket!! 60mm, and none of the auto parts stores have anything even close. I don't want to fork out $50+ for a specialized socket on eBay when I might use it once, but also because it wouldn't be ready in time for a July 4th ride [emoji107]

Anyone have any other ideas? Are they available for "rent" anywhere? Anyone live in Central FL that has one? I'll gladly pay to use it! Trying to get it back together before July 1st for the weekend.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160624/495583c69aea204aeca55238d6e2b3e6.jpg

...Tools ...Toys (same thing) :)

Flyingw
06-24-2016, 06:04 PM
That's not your biggest problem. You also need the pinion shaft holding fixture and a blind hole bearing removal tool. Here's my tutorial on rebuilding the diff.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/164483-ATC-250SX-and-250ES-Differential-Rebuild-Tutorial?p=1282554#post1282554

UncleJerm76
06-27-2016, 03:04 PM
That's not your biggest problem. You also need the pinion shaft holding fixture and a blind hole bearing removal tool. Here's my tutorial on rebuilding the diff.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/164483-ATC-250SX-and-250ES-Differential-Rebuild-Tutorial?p=1282554#post1282554

Great write up! And I 100% agree about the use of AllBalls bearing kits. They make the best stuff out there.

I got done with a lot of shade tree make shift tools and scratching my head. I was able to take the pinion shaft nut off by jamming a clean rag between the gears and using a impact on the nut. Worked great by not damaging anything on the diff but ruined the rag. Lol

Your write up is very detailed and absolutely the "correct" way it should be done. Thanks for both taking the time to write the article and for sharing here, I will slowly try to accumulate the tools over time to do it right (and faster) next time.

DohcBikes
07-08-2016, 11:14 AM
Great write up! And I 100% agree about the use of AllBalls bearing kits. They make the best stuff out there.
I was an AllBalls distributor for a couple years and also am provided promotional sponsorships from time to time on motorcycle builds. They do have a great line of products but make no mistake, AllBalls imports most of their bearings. OEM bearings, when available, are superior.

Flyingw
07-08-2016, 05:35 PM
What these days isn't imported. Even the OEM bearings were not made by Honda. They were defined buy the design engineer and most of the bearings Honda used were commercially off the shelf bearings manufactured by bearing companies in Japan packaged in Honda packaging. I only use All Balls kits when I rebuild diffs. I go with what I know.

DohcBikes
07-08-2016, 05:48 PM
Even the OEM bearings were not made by Honda. They were defined buy the design engineer and most of the bearings Honda used were commercially off the shelf bearings manufactured by bearing companies in Japan packaged in Honda packaging.Yes, of course. As are/were a large percentage of all the parts it takes to build any ATV. Japanese OEM's have much higher standards than Chinese. As noted, AllBalls carries a lot of great products, but are often inferior to Japanese OEM parts, regardless of the manufacturer.

He said AllBalls "makes the best stuff out there", well the fact is that they neither 'Make' most of what they sell, nor sell 'the best stuff out there'. No offense intended, just some facts for readers to consider.

UncleJerm76
07-09-2016, 09:08 AM
Sorry guys wasn't meaning to cause a stir. Just always been more impressed with their kits over any of the others I've tried.