PDA

View Full Version : 1985 ATC 200x need pictures to compare.

gouldian
06-28-2016, 07:06 PM
Bought my first three wheeler a few days ago. I've been a long time dirt biker so I know the ins and outs of repairing the things I break. I just need to know a little more about this thing.
On the left engine case, where the drive sprocket is located, should there be a cover/case saver over the sprocket?
The driven (rear) sprocket has some play in it both left-right and rotational. I assume it shouldn't. I think the parts here may not be factory.
My exhaust is pretty ugly and home modified. Is the factory a two piece system? What does the factory silencer look like.
I will post pictures as soon as I can.
Thank you in advance. Name's Tom btw. Folks call me Freakshow.

flynfish
06-28-2016, 07:11 PM
Yes there should be a cover over sprocket, also my 85 rear sprocket has play in it as well. I believe they all do. And yes the exhaust is a 2 piece system. Welcome to the forum

the only time I will be easy is when I'm killed by death

gouldian
06-28-2016, 07:28 PM
Thank you very much. Looks like I will be building a new exhaust. At the top of your case saver, at the motor/swingarm mount, does your case have a notch in it? Or has the chain eaten a section of my engine?

flynfish
06-28-2016, 07:34 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160628/e4e7e491e0c37e401b72b8c36f2dc97e.jpg
Thank you very much. Looks like I will be building a new exhaust. At the top of your case saver, at the motor/swingarm mount, does your case have a notch in it? Or has the chain eaten a section of my engine?
No notch in mine. Here's a couple pics http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160628/c08078d029a60c6c9d904abcd9cd1f11.jpg

gouldian
06-28-2016, 08:29 PM
Well then, I guess I'm in the market for a left engine case.
Is that case saver steel or aluminum?
Thank you so much. Any tips on breaking the news to my wife? I told her this thing was mint lol.

Ironheadtmb
06-28-2016, 10:30 PM
Yes order the parts first then break the new to her welcome aboard

flynfish
06-29-2016, 11:53 AM
That's what I do. Order first then tell. After a couple times they get used to it haha

x-rider
06-29-2016, 05:16 PM
Bought my first three wheeler a few days ago. I've been a long time dirt biker so I know the ins and outs of repairing the things I break. I just need to know a little more about this thing.
On the left engine case, where the drive sprocket is located, should there be a cover/case saver over the sprocket?
The driven (rear) sprocket has some play in it both left-right and rotational. I assume it shouldn't. I think the parts here may not be factory.
My exhaust is pretty ugly and home modified. Is the factory a two piece system? What does the factory silencer look like.
I will post pictures as soon as I can.
Thank you in advance. Name's Tom btw. Folks call me Freakshow.

Mine is pretty much shot, but I'll take a pic when I get home so you have an example, and yes two piece. Header and silencer with clamp.

gouldian
06-30-2016, 01:25 PM
Yesterday I , with the help of my two oldest boys, pulled the engine cleaned everything. (3 cans degreaser and 6 cans brake cleaner. plus lots of wire brushing) current parts list is long and painful. left side case. all bearings, seals, and gaskets. chassis, suspension, and frame getting overhauled. both brake systems need rebuilt. plastics need repaired and the tank needs painted. but the wheels and tires look new. waiting on my manual before cracking open the cases, but i suspect that i'll be looking for shift forks and possibly a shift drum.
i have found a majority of the parts i'm going to need, but it seems like nobody has transmission parts, anyone know a good place to locate these?
also i'd like to gusset the frame since i have it gutted. where am i looking at as far as weak spots, and what thickness steel is recomended for this job?
thanks for all of the info and pics so far. you guys are amazing.
p.s. the wife doesn't seem to angry with me. didn't even have to sleep out in the hammock.

RUNMEDOWN
06-30-2016, 07:23 PM
also i'd like to gusset the frame since i have it gutted. where am i looking at as far as weak spots, and what thickness steel is recomended for this
I sleved the down tub (had to thin it out to clear starter) by using 1/4" dom tubing (cut lengthwise and welded back on) right above the front motor mount is a known weak spot. I also added gussets to the rear and along the top shock mount
Here it is prepaint. 233053

gouldian
06-30-2016, 09:39 PM
RUNMEDOWN; those were two areas I saw needed beefed up. Would it be overboard to do all tube joints with 3/16th plate? I hate re working parts, but is this overkill for these frames? It looks like you've owned every Honda known to man, where do you usually break stuff?