PDA

View Full Version : Options on L.E.D. lights

fort9erfan
06-29-2016, 07:53 PM
Hey folks, I got a 250sx and was wanting to upgrade the headlight. I like the original light cover plastics but am finding it hard to find a L.E.D. setup that will fit inside it (5"x 3"). I thought about just changing the bulb with something like this.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-ATC-250SX-1985-1986-1987-LED-Headlight-Bulb-ATC250SX-/400928875725?fits=Make%3AHonda&hash=item5d593924cd:g:UAEAAOSwl8NVaMx-&vxp=mtr

But wasnt sure how bright it would get. Just curious if any of you have tried these or have run into another setup that worked out well?

vegas250rr
07-01-2016, 07:18 PM
While I can't attest to an LED substitute.... I do think the silver star bulb is a very nice upgrade in the stock housing. Fits perfectly and its plug and PLAYYYYY

UncleJerm76
07-07-2016, 10:25 PM
Hey folks, I got a 250sx and was wanting to upgrade the headlight. I like the original light cover plastics but am finding it hard to find a L.E.D. setup that will fit inside it (5"x 3"). I thought about just changing the bulb with something like this.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-ATC-250SX-1985-1986-1987-LED-Headlight-Bulb-ATC250SX-/400928875725?fits=Make%3AHonda&hash=item5d593924cd:g:UAEAAOSwl8NVaMx-&vxp=mtr

But wasnt sure how bright it would get. Just curious if any of you have tried these or have run into another setup that worked out well?

I have one of these. While it is brighter than the stock bulb, the beam isn't focused like the stock bulb is. It's odd. There are bright "spots" in random places like up in the trees - not a focused beam straight ahead.

...Tools ...Toys (same thing) :)

big specht
07-08-2016, 08:05 AM
That probley cause the stock head light lense isn't made to be a spot light but more of a flood light.

RubberSalt
07-08-2016, 11:23 AM
As a big fan of LED's, your not going to find what your looking for. Anything worth while will either need to be modded, or custom made. The bulb you posted is for a tail light, not a head light.

Lumens and color temp are the 2 biggest factors. A quality standard halogen car headlight is about 900 lumens. HID can push upwards of about 3000 lumens for 35 watts of power. LEDs are about the same in inefficiency as the HID currently. More lumens=brighter. Color temp is the color of the light coming out. A light at 2500 lumens and a color temp of 4000k will be visibly brighter than a light at 3000 lumens and a color temp of 7500k. As the temp get's higher, the color gets more blue and the human eye can't see it as well. Sure, the lux meter can pick it up, but you can't!

Ok, now that is out of ther way, there are a few lights out there that are cheap and will work, but this goes straight back to the modding aspect. If you don't mind hacking some plastic things apart, then awesome! I've done some ridiculous things with LEDs... For instance, my LED light that draws over 12 amps at 3.7 volts. Measures in at 4400 lumens. It's smaller than a pop can :) Or my LED spot light that had 900lumens off a single XML-t6 and light up buildings over a mile away.

Don't believe the adds that claim stupid high lumens. They are compulsive liars. You can look up the datasheet for any cree LED. It will tell you how many lumens their light makes and at what wattage. This is an example. I own a few, they are pretty awesome for the size, but get blistering hot. They put out maybe 1500 lumens. http://www.ebay.com/itm/SolarStorm-8000Lm-3x-XML-U2-LED-Head-Front-Headlamp-Bicycle-Lamp-Bike-Light-US-/252366950815?hash=item3ac23e119f:g:xBMAAOSwJcZWc6-y Note the battery pack, it's 8.4 volts. I haven't tested these at 12volts or anything else. They mount directly to the handle bars.

For the LED lights, you'll want to search for things in this order (brightest to well, not brightest)

Cree XHP 70
Cree XHP 50
SST90
XML u2 <-Next best bang for buck
XML t6 <- best bang for the buck by far
XP G5

Here is some more lights.
This is maybe 2k lumens: http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-SHIPPING-15000Lm-5-x-CREE-XM-L-U2-LED-Bicycle-Light-Cycling-Camping-Headlamp-/361517387294?hash=item542c1d8e1e:g:gQMAAOSwwpdW78W 4

UncleJerm76
07-14-2016, 10:36 PM
The bulb you posted is for a tail light, not a head light.

The OP definitely posted a headlight LED bulb, size H4 to be exact. I've got one, although I've never been thrilled about it. A regular light bulb emits all its light from one location where as the LED version the OP showed has multiple LEDs all around. Most of those other LEDs are outside the focal point the lens was designed for, dissipating most of the light instead of focusing all of it. What you need is a lens for every LED to properly focus all the light straight ahead.

I've ordered one of these to replace my entire headlight. Should be better than stock and more efficient with a clean white light ...plenty for what I need and it will retain my high/low function also.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160715/24eb572d6f2589a74fd52bbfd085e75d.png

YamaBoss
07-14-2016, 11:42 PM
The OP definitely posted a headlight LED bulb, size H4 to be exact. I've got one, although I've never been thrilled about it. A regular light bulb emits all its light from one location where as the LED version the OP showed has multiple LEDs all around. Most of those other LEDs are outside the focal point the lens was designed for, dissipating most of the light instead of focusing all of it. What you need is a lens for every LED to properly focus all the light straight ahead.

I've ordered one of these to replace my entire headlight. Should be better than stock and more efficient with a clean white light ...plenty for what I need and it will retain my high/low function also.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160715/24eb572d6f2589a74fd52bbfd085e75d.png

I have the same thing on my DR. Works great.

UncleJerm76
07-14-2016, 11:43 PM
Awesome! glad to hear it

UncleJerm76
07-30-2016, 11:28 PM
I have the same thing on my DR. Works great.

You were right - it works really really great! Much brighter and a focused beam just like the OEM. I'm finally happy with a LED headlight.