PDA

View Full Version : Compatible Parts List Search Engine

kingkongslie
07-05-2016, 02:16 PM
Does anyone know if there is any sort of library of compatible parts? A lot of trikes have interchangeable parts with other makes and models and even with dirt bikes and quads. It would be amazing if there was some sort of search engine that you could use to figure out what parts would fit what bikes.

It would be even cooler if there were details on weather or not it was an identical part or if was compatible and would increase or decrease performance. If nothing like this exists I would like to try and create a way to do it. Possibly a wiki type system where users populate the data.

DohcBikes
07-05-2016, 02:21 PM
A user populated list would be an absolute nightmare. You have no idea how many people are willing to give information that they have never put to use in the real world. Those in the know, as in, people that have the knowledge and experience required to build engines correctly, have several resources for crossreferencing parts. A little discriminate research goes a long way.

kingkongslie
07-05-2016, 02:29 PM
Thank you for the reply, DohcBikes. I do see your point, a user populated list could become a nightmare. Do you know any specific resources for cross referencing parts other than searching forum posts?

DohcBikes
07-05-2016, 02:36 PM
cmsnl and partzilla are decent hobbyist resources. Biggest issue there is that it doesn't include superseded parts lists and the manufacturers will change a pn for something as small as a change in paint color. Also using common sense while searching ebay can provide some clues to interchangeable parts. Research and experience is the best method. I've certainly spent a few bucks trying things that didn't work. Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

RubberSalt
07-08-2016, 01:16 PM
I've spent my time and cash researching parts. For interchanging parts, it's as dohc says, Some of the machines, there are list of parts to swap (tecate is an example), and the list is a nightmare.

I've typically searched parts on ebay, and then found the generic name and searched again. Gaskets are a nice way to check if something lines up.

If the base gasket works for the kx250 and the kxt250, then that says the jugs would atleast bolt to the same bottom end.

If a petcock rebuild kit and gasket is listed for 10000 motorcycles... You get the idea.

jasbret
07-11-2016, 12:32 AM
I have just been cross referencing part numbers online on dealership sites that list part numbers. With that said though as stated, the part # will differ with a simple paint color change.

tommerp
07-11-2016, 10:38 PM
There is a pretty good list for Tri-Z's here - http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/16277-parts-that-inter-change-with-TRI-Z-250

As for other trikes, I don't remember seeing anything like that.

Cheers

UncleJerm76
07-12-2016, 09:21 AM
Does anyone know if there is any sort of library of compatible parts? A lot of trikes have interchangeable parts with other makes and models and even with dirt bikes and quads. It would be amazing if there was some sort of search engine that you could use to figure out what parts would fit what bikes.

It would be even cooler if there were details on weather or not it was an identical part or if was compatible and would increase or decrease performance. If nothing like this exists I would like to try and create a way to do it. Possibly a wiki type system where users populate the data.

Yes when I'm looking for a part, I always check Partzilla.com, once you get the part you want scroll to the bottom and it shows every single other ATC that shares that same part.

...Tools ...Toys (same thing) :)