PDA

View Full Version : Troubleshooting

MorganRR52
07-20-2016, 08:59 PM
I could use a little advice on where the problem might be, so I was given an old 85 Honda 250ES Big Red and I can't seem to get it running. So what I have done was clean the gas tank it was pretty rusty, new fuel lines with fuel filter, new spark plug, new battery, new carburetor, new air filter. It has spark, engine has compression, using a little starting fluid it will start but won't run, I have even checked the on-off switch and it's on run but still nothing. Please help I really want to get this running any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

jeswinehart
07-20-2016, 09:07 PM
It sounds like to me you are going need to see if fuel is getting into carb in the first place.
Heck, with your good description,,, That would what I'd start looking at first.
With gas turned on or in reserve open the bowl drain on carb and see if anything comes out,,, that's where I'd start at. Heck maybe you already done that ???
john

Kingcricket
07-20-2016, 09:11 PM
Also check how consistent your spark is I had a 125 given to me, went all over it to find someone took a hatchet to the side of the wiring harness. It had spark when I pulled it slow but not fast.

Kingcricket
07-20-2016, 09:14 PM
Don't forget to make sure your pulse generator is in time, spark may be off

MorganRR52
07-20-2016, 09:24 PM
Yes the carburetor is getting fuel I've drained it multiple times and when using the electric starter and also the pedal start there seems to be consistent Spark, and how would I check the pulse generator

MorganRR52
07-20-2016, 09:26 PM
The car was getting fuel I dreamed it multiple times and when checking the spark it's consistent when using the electric start and the kickstart and also how would I check the pulse generator

Kingcricket
07-20-2016, 09:50 PM
Should be with your stator left crankcase. When your turning it over and it's not starting is the plug wet? Maybe you have a bad boot and won't let your venturi work right. Pulse generator should have timing marks as well make sure it's clean.

If it's a carb problem usually I dumped a little gas in the spark plug hole and it fires right up, if not maybe spark or low compression issue.

atc007
07-20-2016, 09:53 PM
Clean your carb. I know you said it's new, Your problem is in your carb. Also make sure you have a clean oiled air filter.

Kingcricket
07-20-2016, 10:02 PM
Yeah didn't realize that is more like a pick up coil and probably just need the gap set.