PDA

View Full Version : New to the website...

Project#250R
07-22-2016, 08:54 PM
Kinda new and don't really know my way around the site, but I've been meaning to ask you guys some questions. I've got a 1983 atc250r and I got a few problems with it.
-First of all, it vibrates out of control. When we took it apart we found that the frame is all broke up and the rod bearing needs replaced.. Will this cause the vibrations?
- the retards who had this bike before me had the wrong shifter on the bike so the shaft coming from the motor is all messed up. I'm replacing it and I need to know if it matters how you lign up the teeth when putting a new one in..
- last but not least, I realized that the 1985 and 1986 parts are so much easier to find and usually cheaper.. I found a nice carb for an '86. I know it's bigger then the stock 1983 carb but can I buy the boots to put it on my bike? I've had so many problems with this carb so far and I just want a new one.
Thanks guys, this fourm site has really helped me with a lot of problems on my bike..

arlaunch
07-23-2016, 11:44 AM
Did you download the free Honda shop manual yet? Or have you purchased a hard copy?

The 3rd gen R's have the mark on the crank for lining up the flywheel. OEM only. Not sure about the gen 2's. You would find all of this info in a second in the manual i would think?

Also if the rod bearings are shot then yes. I believe you are correct about the cause of the vibration. That could lead to a whole mess of other problems.

Out on my side of the coast there are gobs and gobs of gen 2 R's for sale.

Do you have a budget?

The cost of fixing all the problems on these neglected machines is outrages. You know that though. Frozen brakes, corroded master cylinders, never serviced suspension, new tires and wheels, levers, engine work, pipes, carbs, plastics, sprockets and chains, powder coat fee's, electrical problems, wheel bearings, axles and the tools to do this stuff. WOW!!!

I have always been a fan of buying the junkers cheap and hoarding the salvageable parts as spares for the nice bike that works. (the winner)

Then for projects, buying one that somebody else has dumped a fortune into already that is nice. Then cleaning up the details. That tactic seems to save thousands and thousands of dollars and heartache. (in the long run)

Buying a close to great condition machine for 3,000 dollars is a bargain IMO. You can go ride it the next day.

You may be surprised what you can find from Honda. All the shops are different and have different pricing too. If you shop around from one Honda dealers website to another you may be surprised what you can find?

Thanks for joining the site.

I am no veteran.

I did the same thing as you "bought a beat up bike"

I did the research and found the cost of fixing it up to the point where i wanted it was outrageous.

A couple weeks later a gem of a machine showed up on craigslist for around 3200. It had all the stuff! Extended arm (chromed) wider durablue axle, Paul Turner pipe, carb, steering stabilizer, mint condition OEM Plastic, Mint condition OEM tires and wheels etc. CHEAP!

The problem i found then was that i could not use the nice stuff for riding because i was afraid to ruin it.

Then i had to shop around for less nice stuff to put on it for daily driving.

LOL

This is expensive.

A clear defined pre planned budget is key IMO.

Project#250R
07-23-2016, 12:10 PM
Yeah I got the 81-84 pdf manual downloaded on my computer. I haven't checked the crank adjustment to the flywheel, but the balancer gear is ligned up right. And I know, this is costing a fortune. I got this bike for $400, and it was a running motor if the guys didn't take out the rings. Came with a gastank that wasn't too beat up, and a nice seat that just needed a new cover. They guys didn't know what they had when they sold it to me. When my shift shaft comes in the mail I'll put the bottom end back together. This bike runs good on the top end in about 5th gear, not near as fast as it should be. Idle is great but it sputters like it hits it's max rmp..? Not sure what to think about it.

Kingcricket
07-23-2016, 02:01 PM
It most likely won't run right with a 30mm carb off an 86 bigger venturi and bigger jets. So you'd probably end up with more carb problems

arlaunch
07-23-2016, 04:21 PM
This does not help keep your post count up but...

I did a quick google search and found this article and several more with some good information.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/158827-84-250r-Carb-Swap

Let the money spending begin!

LOL

sledcrazyinCT
07-24-2016, 09:37 AM
The flat slide PJ carb off an 86 can be set up easily to run on a fooler. It is a good, proven upgrade on the 1st and 2nd gen 250rs