PDA

View Full Version : Carb adjustment advice. 1983 200X

Rob Canadian
07-27-2016, 10:15 PM
Long story short. My 200X runs good. Took the carb off. Cleaned it. Put it back on. Fired up first kick.

2 questions.

I set the Pilot screw at 1 3/4. It did not have much tension and felt loose. I am worried about it backing off. Teflon tape on the threads?

Also. Hard to set the idle. It is high or low. Guessing the stop screw and the slide have a bit of a burr or not a good clean surface as it is the stop and is a slanted surface.

TIA. :)

DohcBikes
07-27-2016, 10:23 PM
Sounds like you might be missing the spring that holds the washer and oring in place and also creates tension on the mix screw. Did you remove the screw to clean it? If everything is there, sure, you could teflon the threads.

Idle: Could be as mentioned, an indent with a ridge in the slanted suface of the slide, but when you say high or low, does it die when it goes low? If so, it could be that your pilot circuit isn't completely clean yet.

You can de-burr the ridge on the indent, but it won't ever be perfect. Could try drilling a small hole for something to grab to and filling it with solder, but it might wear out.

I've also seen a case where the pilot screw tip was bent, and it caused an erratic idle.

Rob Canadian
07-28-2016, 07:36 PM
Nice one. I think you were point on with the spring/washer/oring. I did remove the pilot screw to look at it. Put it back in and turned it out 1 3/4 turns.

I think at this point I will order those pieces up. Slap some RTV over the screw to prevent it from backing out as I am taking it for a rip on Sunday on the trails.

Ya. I will figure out something on the idle thingy. I have it set a bit low and idles ok. Just could use a little more RPM.

*EDIT* Sorry. It does not idle up and down. Idles consistant. A small turn on the idle screw and it is too low or too high. That's where i think there must be a bit of a ridge on the slide.

DohcBikes
07-28-2016, 09:41 PM
*EDIT* Sorry. It does not idle up and down. Idles consistant. A small turn on the idle screw and it is too low or too high. That's where i think there must be a bit of a ridge on the slide.Yea I gathered that, I was just throwing out the bent screw story as bonus info.

Don't put RTV on your fuel screw. Your original idea of teflon tape was better, but still temporary until you get the parts.

Since realistically, your slide is worn out on the idle ramp, I'd just buy a brand new replacement carb. They're around 25 bucks on ebay and the parts (mix screw, etc) are copies of the original. Going this route, You'd have the choice of using brand new parts from the new carb to repair your OEM carb, or swapping the jets out of your stock carb to the new one.

Here is one from Wincycles, a highly regarded distributor. The carb is an Emsted, of which I have installed several with excellent results. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-ATC200X-Carburetor-Carb-1983-1985-NEW-/391517072631?hash=item5b283c6cf7:g:LGMAAOSwPhdU7Mj 3&vxp=mtr

Rob Canadian
07-31-2016, 09:27 PM
Thanks DohcBikes. RTV worked. For now... Thought I had Teflon tape kicking around. Trike ran up good. Had a blast. Ran the trails for 1 1/2 hour today. :)

86125m
08-01-2016, 04:03 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-ATC200X-Carburetor-Carb-1983-1985-NEW-/391520932205?hash=item5b2877516d:g:LGMAAOSwPhdU7Mj 3&vxp=mtr these are great carbs but be sure to take the choke flap off and put some lock tight on the screws as I have had problems in the past where the choke flap screws have ended up in my head.

Rob Canadian
08-08-2016, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the links. Much appreciated. :)
Looked into it a bit. Cost plus shipping and the exchange rate to Canadian funds I don't think is worth it. Add that I would have to locktite the screws and hear that the jets are smaller may not be worth it.

I think I will go the carb kit route and spend a couple minuites on the slide.

Rob Canadian
08-09-2016, 07:46 PM
DohcBikes. Ended up taking your advice... Just ordered a carb from them.

axeman24
08-11-2016, 01:50 PM
so I am having a similar problem in my auto x I tried filing down the burr on the idol screw ramp no improvement
it idols unpredictably sometimes idols forever sometimes dies immediately with no throttle
I have messed with the carb for hrs even swopped carbs out I have 3 original and one oversized reproduction

also bike seems to loose power at sustained full throttle will give full power when accelerating but if I hold thr throttle down it boggs but if I back off the throttle a little it will run well but I think it has more to give

my hunch is this the intake manifold feels like its made of rubber but I think it is metal covered in plastic
could the manifold be cracked and the plastic holding it together
if so would it create this type of problem

Rob Canadian
08-18-2016, 08:58 PM
^ not sure to be honest axeman24? Theses things should idle all day long and never miss a beat in a perfect world. Plug issue? Coil? Hard to say really in your case(?)

*UPDATE* Just got my new carb in the mail today. I have been working like a bandit @ work and not much time on the ATC... Going to pull the carb off the 200X and take both carbs apart and make 1.

Honda200xrace
08-20-2016, 03:34 PM
I had the same idle issue you did. Ordered a new carb thinking i could just use the slide out of it and they were different. Didnt want to swap carb because i have rejetted it. I took a dremel and lightly ground my slope it seemed to fix my problem for now.

The problem i see is the metal seems softer under the chrome finish so it will wear/dent easier again

Rob Canadian
08-20-2016, 10:30 PM
What carb did you order?

Honda200xrace
08-21-2016, 09:56 PM
What carb did you order?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220962434152?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

wrightracing
08-24-2016, 08:39 PM
It looks like a good deal, let us know how it works. I want to pickup a project 185s or 200s one of these days as a fun little camp bike. I still kick myself for selling my 82 185s.

David (david@wrightracing.net)

yaegerb
08-24-2016, 08:43 PM
so I am having a similar problem in my auto x I tried filing down the burr on the idol screw ramp no improvement
it idols unpredictably sometimes idols forever sometimes dies immediately with no throttle
I have messed with the carb for hrs even swopped carbs out I have 3 original and one oversized reproduction

also bike seems to loose power at sustained full throttle will give full power when accelerating but if I hold thr throttle down it boggs but if I back off the throttle a little it will run well but I think it has more to give

my hunch is this the intake manifold feels like its made of rubber but I think it is metal covered in plastic
could the manifold be cracked and the plastic holding it together
if so would it create this type of problem

You likely have an airleak or your needle jet needs to be replaced.

Rob Canadian
08-31-2016, 08:38 PM
Finally got to work on it tonight. Made 1 carb out of 2. Swapped the parts that I needed from the new carb. (Slide, pilot screw...spring..o-ring, idle screw) Put them into the OEM carb.

Fired up good. Very happy with it. Getting some guys together this weekend to go out for a rip.

wrightracing
09-01-2016, 08:49 PM
That is always a great feeling.

As we get closer to desert season I have to get 4 quads already to go. My 4 stroke quad is not to bad. I ran the gas out of it last season. Everyone else's bikes will need carbs and gas tanks cleaned with the normal maintenance stuff like spark plugs, oil and filters. Sometimes I wish I did not know how to work on bikes 😵😵

Congrats and have fun this weekend.

David...

Rob Canadian
09-01-2016, 09:19 PM
That is always a great feeling.

As we get closer to desert season I have to get 4 quads already to go. My 4 stroke quad is not to bad. I ran the gas out of it last season. Everyone else's bikes will need carbs and gas tanks cleaned with the normal maintenance stuff like spark plugs, oil and filters. Sometimes I wish I did not know how to work on bikes ����

Congrats and have fun this weekend.

David...

Thanks. :)

Just ordered up stuff for my front end. Bearings and fork seals. I did a bunch of stuff to it during the summer. Rear bearings, brakes, chain and sprockets, coil, CDI unit as well as maintenance stuff. It has new hoops on it. :).

wrightracing
09-01-2016, 09:34 PM
This is my old beast. I could ride all over the Dunes at Glamis and keep up with all the fast 2 strokes by taking straight lines through the dunes.

They are a blast.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160902/f9e11875ef7e371f6ebb3f6e186cf83d.jpg

I have a 86 TRX250R that I have just done a Frame up restoration with a Vulcan Black powder coated Frame, brand new CT310 2 stroke motor and all new White Brothers shocks front and rear. I have also picked up a CR500 38mm Carb with the Magura twist throttle. I have a major hatred of thumb throttles. I grew up racing dirtbikes in Baja and the desert, so I convert all my bikes over to twist. Even the 2005 400ex for my Mom was converted before she ever rode it.

Let us know how the weekend goes..

David (david@wrightracing.net)

axeman24
09-06-2016, 04:44 PM
You likely have an airleak or your needle jet needs to be replaced.

I think you were correct with the air leak
when taking off the carb to recheck jets and such I noticed the intake boot was a bit loose it looks like one end came apart where the metal end attaches to the rubber body
I replaced it with a good spare I got in a box of parts from captainweezy (thanks again)
put it together and she fired as normal
took her for a test ride ran good but felt a little weak at top end
after about a half hr I shut down with the kill switch
when I tried to restart she seemed flooded the only way I got it started was a pull stat from another bike(flooded for sure) but ran well after that
the next day I took her out rode hard for a bit
but she started bogging out

my current situation:
she will start with half throttle but its a very low rpm(lower then she has ever stayed running so I think the new boot helped one issue) and sounds like its missing fire strokes
any change in throttle or choke she dies
blowing black smoke in-between sputtering fires

it almost reminds me of a hit or miss motor the way it sounds
I have a video I could send if it would help diagnose my issue

could my issues be coming from a weak coil?
changed the plug no change

I will swop the carb with a good running bike to rule out a spark issue

axeman24
09-06-2016, 11:36 PM
Update I do not have spark anymore so it must be the coil???

I am now out of my comfort zone I am terrible with electrics
Please help :)

Rob Canadian
09-07-2016, 08:53 PM

Went for a solo run. Ran up with some peeps on the trails. I had a blast!!!

TwiZ
10-01-2016, 06:58 PM
I had the same idle issue you did. Ordered a new carb thinking i could just use the slide out of it and they were different. Didnt want to swap carb because i have rejetted it. I took a dremel and lightly ground my slope it seemed to fix my problem for now.

The problem i see is the metal seems softer under the chrome finish so it will wear/dent easier again. I know this post is a bit old but.....To keep the issue of the marks or dents getting the slider scarred up i always push the throttle in a little before i turn the idle screw in,just shut machine off and give it a tiny little turn clockwise. That lifts the slider up off of the adjustment screw as you turn it