PDA

View Full Version : 1984 250r

Lsxfbody
08-04-2016, 09:02 PM
Hey guys so i got my 83 200e running good with a carb rebuild and a quick tune up, haules it out to the lake lot for a trial run and she runs perfect just waiti g on the swampers i ordered for the back to come in and she will be set for hunting this fall. As i was driving home i seen a 250r for sale in near mint shape from what i could see from the road, plastics all looked new and not sun-faded or cracked, looked very well maintained. Got ahold of the owner and am going to take a look at it on the 12th after work, just curious what to look for on the old air cooled 250rs when inspecting it. I have never rebuilt a 2 stroke but have done many high performance sbc/bbc builds so im sure i can handle a little air cooled 2 stroke lol just curious what to watch out for when shopping around

atc007
08-04-2016, 09:07 PM
Bearings/swingarm,wheel ,axle and head bearings. Any knocking in the engine,,rod.. It should have good compression,but you know that. Just a slow,common sense mechanical exam wll tell you the story of where she's been and what she's gone through. That is a rare bike up there ;)

Lsxfbody
08-04-2016, 11:05 PM
What he said was he just did all the bearings last fall and the only issues he mentioned were front brake pads, i will deffintly be checking the bearings anyways and compression. Rebuilding the engine is the least of my worries its all the other little things i want to watch for as thats what always ends up adding up, if i can get a few rides out of it before snow falls ill be happy as i am currently working a 24 on 4 off shift and plan on doing a full rebuild top and bottom plus the usual(pipes, reeds, 38mm carb, 85-86 front end, new chain and play with gearing)

Lsxfbody
08-04-2016, 11:09 PM
Also was looking at trying to find a hondaline 300r kit but seems to be pretty much impossible up here, which is why i figure a total rebuild with new sleeve so its as fresh as i can get it is my best option from what i have read

atc007
08-05-2016, 08:15 AM
You may just be really happy with the way she rips right now ;). They are a good running bike!I remember my first ride on one,and I was completely used to a 200X. 1st seemed like 3rd .

Lsxfbody
08-05-2016, 08:28 AM
Thats what im hoping for but prepared for the worst, i want a nice winter project so that shes perfect for next year and dont need to worry about reliability next season.

Lsxfbody
08-05-2016, 08:30 AM
The only parts im having trouble finding are the pipe and silencer up here for the 83-84, im looking for a mid range pipe and hears the fmf gold is much better than the dg

Lsxfbody
08-05-2016, 09:11 AM
Just curious what a good mixture is for the gas, i heard 32:1 is most common but what oil and gas should i use? Regular or premium and what oil works best i cant seem to find something people agree on

plevib
08-05-2016, 06:51 PM
I'm by no means a 2 stroke guru, but I wouldn't run anything less than 91 NO ETHANOL in anything with a carburetor. One thing to look for is a crank leak. It will leave you bashing your head against the wall..... post some pics! We'd love to see it

Lsxfbody
08-05-2016, 09:15 PM
Pics will be up soon as i go on days off and pick it up, i usually run shell 91 as its the only thing up here with no ethanol in my truck(502bbc) and my firebird(468bbc) but my boat runs best on 87 shell mixed with castrol 70hp evinrude 2stroke so wasnt sure

jeswinehart
08-05-2016, 09:54 PM
From past experience and reading post of other members over the years if the swing arm pivot bushings need replaced expect a long hard battle with the swing arm bolt ( no replacement available unless custom made ~ I had 5 made serval years ago and the 4 I sold did not last a day on market).
So when you rock it side to side and if you feel the swing arm bushings are in need of replacement ,,,, factor that in.
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/search.php?searchid=10055932

john

Lsxfbody
08-06-2016, 08:08 AM
Thanks for the tip ill keep that in mind!

Lsxfbody
08-11-2016, 11:38 PM
So an update on the 250r, finally got home for days off and took the bike out for a ride and noticed the clutch needs to be done soon and also shift from 2-3 is off a bit just curious if that could be linked to the clutch needing to be replaced? Almost need to double clutch it to get it to shift into 3rd, reat of the gears are fine but clutch needs to be fully pulled to engage properly. How hard is a clutch swap and what am i looking for when pulling to inspect what to buy?