PDA

View Full Version : rescue 200x engine rebuild questions

axeman24
08-08-2016, 05:56 PM
hello 3ww I am an new member but a long time reader

I am currently rebuilding my original 85 200x motor from my running auto x (this bike was left out for years and even flooded in hurricane sandy)

ive been working on it for months to get the piston out (top end was seized tight)

I finally got the piston to move but on the last hit I cracked the bottom of the sleeve my local shop wants 300 to re-sleeve only (I have been told it cant even be done that the jug is cast around the sleeve)

my question is for a replacement jug I have read that the any Honda 200 top ends are interchangeable but cannot find definitive answer for the jug

I can get a oem used 200 jug on ebay for $50 or a reproduction kit for 75 (has anyone used this kit thoughts? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cylinder-Piston-Rings-Kit-196CM3-63-5mm-Bore-200cc-Honda-ATC200-XL185-200-XR200-/172272755160?hash=item281c41a1d8:g:rB8AAOSwygJXhrq d&vxp=mtr

my question is is this actually compatable as I have also read that the stroke is different on different models that it will fit but may have low compresson or hit the head
any thoughts on the aftermarket jug/heads on ebay anyone ever use them

thanks again and I hope to contribute and get help from this forum

also I am looking to buy a liquid cooled r not sure where to post that so I figured id add here are there classifieds on this site

let me know if I posted too much different things again new to forum

axeman24
08-10-2016, 05:58 PM
a member contacted me with oem parts they are in the mail now
very happy I joined the board

John Tice
08-11-2016, 08:36 AM
Your cylinder is easy to resleeve by our shop. $300.00 seems a little high, I’d need some pictures of your cylinder before we can quote the repair.

JT

www.smallenginemachineworks.com

Leevvii
08-11-2016, 09:11 AM
Bad news, i just tried that store, i brought the other one, going by measurements of my 84 200x barrel, it all fitted perfectly on the X, except, the timing chain wont go onto the cam sprocket, the berrel was 3mm to long, which raised the head up enough to prevent the chain fitting,

i got lucky, the spare barrel i had, i got rebored, and sold the ebay barrel, lost out on that one, hope you have more luck, they do work on some honda motors, just not my 200X. It was suggested to me that the bottom of the jug could be machined down, but it was cheaper to rebore my other barrel. Let us know if it works.

Because of this, I got a 200X spare jug on ebay for sale, it is on last oversize but should have enough [according to the place that did my other barrel machining, and i get 66.70mm with my verniers, sorry, i dont have a mic], to accomodate a wiseco 67.00mm piston kit should fit it, let me know if you want the ebay link, cheers.

DohcBikes
08-11-2016, 09:33 AM
I have posted in at least 5 threads that the eBay jug is for a crf230f.

John Tice
08-13-2016, 12:28 AM
It looks like you’ve suffered long enough. Send me the bad cylinder with a new standard piston & I’ll fix it for free. It will be featured in “How it’s Done”
JT
www.smallenginemachineworks.com

Leevvii
08-13-2016, 02:59 AM
I have posted in at least 5 threads that the eBay jug is for a crf230f.
Maybe you could arrange a Sticky for this subject?? I done quite a bit of searching of this site back in may [Product name, part #, etc] and couldnt find info on those barrels, so i started my own thread, just saying.

axeman24
08-15-2016, 03:09 PM
I just received the cylinder appears to be a 66mm bore nice and clean I think I can get away with just a hone
any recommendations for piston selection and size I was thinking the Wesco 10:1

pros and cons of high compression
do I order a 66 mm or a 65.5 mm as I have never fit a piston myself

axeman24
08-15-2016, 03:27 PM
recommendations on stock compression pistons as I do not want to build a reliable bike

Mackus84
08-15-2016, 07:05 PM
You need to have the bore mic'd by an accurate bore gauge. You NEVER want to just buy a piston and hope it works out without having the EXACT measurements. You buy a piston you know is larger than the bore and have the cylinder bored/honed to match the piston. Unless you KNOW for a fact that the bore is what it is supposed to b, then you can just buy the piston. Clearances are very very minute. It needs to be right or you'll be going through this again. My advice is send it to Mr Tice and thank him very very much for his generosity. He is one of the 3WW resident experts on bores. He will get you taken care of

John Tice
08-16-2016, 08:26 AM
Thanks for the kind words; I’m always open for a Freebe when we can do a write up for the net. Many riders don’t realize that the skirt clearance is more important than most every other dimension in their engine.

I recently purchased 2 new dial bore gauges or $62 ea. A small price to pay for a fine addition to the tool box.
JT