PDA

View Full Version : My Grandfather’s Honey Extractor

El Camexican
08-08-2016, 07:02 PM
I told Joe I’d post these up.

My Grandfather build this 4 frame honey extractor sometime in the late 30’s or early 40’s. The barrel was commercially made, as well as a few of the nuts and bolts, but most of it was hammered out of hot steel and shaped with hand tools as they had no power tools on the farm.

My Dad saw it sitting at a private dump on his old neighbors farm while deer hunting a few years ago and brought it home. When my Dad stopped keeping bees a few years ago he donated it to a local museum where I went to take the photos on the weekend.

I think the coolest thing about it other than the quality of the galvanized barrel and old style chicken wire (which still looks like new) is that he transitioned a ¾” square bar down to about a 5/8” round bar with a hammer to make a shaft that would spin in that flat-bar hole (which was pierced by hand) and be threaded to take a ½” nut he must have taken from some other machine.

The wood seems to have held up well too.

No running to Home Depot for parts back then. :lol:

86T3
08-08-2016, 07:32 PM
Wow, that's some good old ameri...uh, Canadian ingenuity. I bet that old girl has some serious honey over the years. If I had something like that I bet I could lose my gut!

hoosierlogger
08-08-2016, 09:49 PM
That's cool! I'd love to find an old one like that to put in the house with an old rusty smoker. Thanks for shari g that with us.

Thorpe
08-14-2016, 11:05 PM
And I figured this was gonna be something dirty and twisted when I read the title.... :naughty: Very cool piece of family history!

tripledog
08-27-2016, 08:40 PM
They are among us...

czac
09-19-2016, 03:41 PM
And I figured this was gonna be something dirty and twisted when I read the title.... :naughty: Very cool piece of family history!

well I guess that depends on how one uses it! lol

Id love to find one like that to make Honey with... got alot of Bees around and a HUGE Bass wood tree that the bees just love! it buzzes so loudly in the summer when it flowers that if you stand below it, its all you hear! They say the honey thats made from these trees is sweeter than the clover honey! Id love to try it.

tripledog
09-19-2016, 04:23 PM
And I figured this was gonna be something dirty and twisted when I read the title....

That would have been "Hector the nector injector".

Thorpe
09-20-2016, 08:00 PM
Hahahaha!!!!!!

tripledog
09-20-2016, 08:11 PM
I would like to build a money extractor, but I think the government still holds the patent.

Bren_downe
09-20-2016, 08:44 PM
I would like to build a money extractor, but I think the government still holds the patent.

Federal reserve! Not the government!