PDA

View Full Version : KLT 200 Starter noise

CaptainInsaino
08-09-2016, 12:11 PM
When i try to start my KLT 200 it turns it over fine but kind of grinds and clunks a little from kickback i am guessing (when the engine kicks over on its own a little and starts to push a valve down but then runs out of momentum, stops, and goes in reverse). Is there a one way bearing like on the hondas on the clutch side that keep the engine from reversing or is there just the starter bearing?

CaptainInsaino
08-25-2016, 09:51 AM
Surely someone has had there KLT grind/clunk gears when trying to start

RubberSalt
08-25-2016, 01:09 PM
What year and exact model? Some are electric some are Kick start and some are both.

Could you post a video or a link to a video?

If it was me, I'd drain the oil and look at the color. Nothing should be grinding.

CaptainInsaino
08-25-2016, 01:45 PM
I cant get a video and model till next week but I have two KLT's that look exactly alike and I know the one that works is a 1982 KLT 200 with electric and kick start (verified by VIN). Like I said it acts like when the motor kicks over on its own from the valve spring pressure release its grinds and clunks and then engages again. It also happens when the engine fires a little but does not start. Maybe it is just a crappy starter too. the orignal needs rebuilt and I pulled this one off a 250 i found in some guys weeds that has been sitting there for 10 years probably. I wish I had it next to me but unfortunately I live in the city (boo!) and it is at my dads a couple hours away