PDA

View Full Version : 1985 Honda ATC70 weak/no spark solved

HoldMyBeer
08-11-2016, 10:28 PM
I posted a very similar thread not long ago. I had an ATC 70 with very little spark and it stumped me for another a month. Bought in that condition and I replaced nearly everything all at once to be done with it. Sadly that didn't work. Here's what you need to know if you have a (85 anyway) 70 with little or no spark.

1. TIMING IS EVERYTHING! I can't stress that enough. It doesn't have a battery so use your lawnmower or whatever and time it with a light. Point gap will steer you wrong with this little guy. Follow this video and you'll be dead on. You can't check point gap open and close with a meter because you'll always have continuity. Dim the light on the "F" mark and bam, timing set.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NEQfKv2FTxo

2. Spangler makes a great stator coil rebuild kit that comes with everything you'll need. Find them on eBay.

3. Only 3 wires matter. Black wire to IGN coil, points and coils to condenser. Forget lights, kill switch and blah blah blah. Do that after you have fire.

4. Forget the neutral safety switch. It's not used on the 85. First person that says that or shows you the video "Try this first!!!" Kick them straight in the baby maker and disregard.

5. Get an ignition coil that's an exact match of your old one. Don't by one that fits every Honda 70 ever made. This was my problem. Everything correct but the IGN coil was not the right one for my model even though it stated it would work. Buy a new plug wire and keep your old coil unless you have to have a new one.

6. Use NGK plugs. Others may work but Honda likes NGK. I didn't make the rules...

Hope that helps someone like me. Believe me, no one held my beer while I fought that thing. Sheesh. Msg me with any questions and I'll be glad to help if I can.