PDA

View Full Version : Honda 200x idle trouble!!!

Honda200xrace
08-13-2016, 01:55 AM
Hey guys restoring an 84 Honda 200x and in the last leg of the build. I'm going through and doing some final checks and can't seem to get it to idle right anymore. It runs and starts awesome. First or second kick usually. Messing with the carb I noticed where the idle screw seats on the throttle valve (silver plunger in the carb) is severely worn in the spot where my idle needs to be set and I think that's my issue. I adjust idle screw out just a bit it dies. I adjust it in a little it revs higher than you want an idle. Anyone have a solution to that? I can't find a new or used one. Was maybe thinking jb weld?

Sorry I didn't take pics of the indent but it's the size of half a round pin head or so

Thanks in advance!!

gimmeamidget
08-13-2016, 09:44 AM
There is an air/fuel mix screw that also comes into play on adjusting the idle. It is usually set 1 3/4 turns to 2 turns out from all the way screwed down. Make sure it is around 2 turns out then adjust the idle screw and see if that changes things.

gimmeamidget
08-13-2016, 09:46 AM
If it is just a burr on the slide where the idle screw makes contact I would pull the slide out and file it smooth.

Honda200xrace
08-13-2016, 11:33 AM
I have adjusted the pilot screw a few times and believe it is set okay. I screwed it out what your suppose too. When it was idling I adjusted it clockwise until it died then turned it back out 360 degrees

Honda200xrace
08-13-2016, 11:36 AM
The slide has a good size indent (worn spot the size of half a pin head) where my idle should be set. I hit that indent the slide drops to much I think n kills it. To get out of that indent it idles too high. I was gonna jb weld the indent n smooth it over. I'm not sure if a guy could braze n file it smooth without wrecking the slide

DohcBikes
08-13-2016, 11:39 AM
There's really no way to fix your issue, the idle ramp on the slide is worn.

One suggestion i've made but not tried myself, because you really have nothing to lose, is to drill a tiny hole right in the divot, fill the hole and the divot with solder, then smooth it out. The hole is for something the solder can grab on to.

JB weld will end up in your motor.

Honda200xrace
08-13-2016, 12:27 PM
That was my thought on the jb weld. Only a matter of time before it gets knocked loose n end up in the engine. Is there a certain type of soldier a guy would use?

DohcBikes
08-13-2016, 12:32 PM
Is there a certain type of soldier a guy would use?That's a great question. As I said, I haven't tried it, but if I did I'd use Hard Solder, which will require a torch.

Another option is to buy this carb. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-ATC200X-Carburetor-Carb-1983-1985-NEW-/191944960374?hash=item2cb0cfa976:g:LGMAAOSwPhdU7Mj 3&vxp=mtr

DohcBikes
08-13-2016, 12:33 PM
By the way, very nice 84 you have there.

Honda200xrace
08-13-2016, 03:03 PM
Thank you a lot of hours and parts searching in to this machine. Complete resto from frame up. My dad bought it new in 84 and he doesn't know what's been done yet so it should be pretty exciting!

Also thanks for the tips I'll let you know what I do and how it goes!

DohcBikes
08-13-2016, 03:08 PM
Thank you a lot of hours and parts searching in to this machine. Complete resto from frame up. I can see that! You did a great job. Yes please let us know what dad thinks!! A video of the reveal would be really cool.

frankydodo
08-13-2016, 10:22 PM
Nice bike man. You should get some 85 gas tank decal. They look amazing with the color combination you have!

DohcBikes
08-14-2016, 04:25 AM
You should get some 85 gas tank decal. No he shouldn't.

frankydodo
08-14-2016, 07:57 AM
I just said that because he had the rear fender and blue seat of an 85 instead of an 84 . And in my opinion they would look better. But who am i to judge the build of another....

axeman24
08-15-2016, 02:43 PM
I was having a similar problem in my 200s I used a file to get rid of the ridges and it helped the issue

Rob Canadian
08-15-2016, 09:02 PM
I have the same problem with my carb. I ordered up a new carb via DohcBikes advice. Should be here soon. :)

Honda200xrace
08-15-2016, 10:09 PM
Nice bike man. You should get some 85 gas tank decal. They look amazing with the color combination you have!
The way I restored the trike was they way I grew up riding it so I left it the same even though its not correct! It actually got backed over by my mom one day on accident and this is how it ended up fixed. thanks for the suggestion though!

Honda200xrace
08-20-2016, 03:13 PM
There's really no way to fix your issue, the idle ramp on the slide is worn.

One suggestion i've made but not tried myself, because you really have nothing to lose, is to drill a tiny hole right in the divot, fill the hole and the divot with solder, then smooth it out. The hole is for something the solder can grab on to.

JB weld will end up in your motor.

UPDATE!!!
I decided against this idea because the solder could come lose just like the jb weld if not done right and i was worried about wrecking the chrome finish on the slide.

so i ordered a new carb with slide thinking i could put it in the old carb and life would be good. Slides were different so i decided to get the dremel out and try to smooth the indent out. It did solve my idle issue but i could tell this had been the second time its been ground so im not sure how long it will last! time will tell i guess.

I didnt put new carb in because my old carb has been rejetted and didnt feel like swapping everything yet!

Thanks for the advice everyone! dohc i will post some pics and see if i can get a video of the unveil for you!!!

Honda200xrace
10-26-2016, 11:36 PM
Okay guys its been awhile but I finally have the Wheeler done and most of the kinks out. I took it home to my dad this last weekend! As promised i would have a reveal video!

Honda200xrace
10-26-2016, 11:38 PM
Is there a size limit to file you can upload i cant get the video and one other pic to upload

yaegerb
10-26-2016, 11:52 PM
Is there a size limit to file you can upload i cant get the video and one other pic to upload

There is a size limit to videos. I usually post on YouTube if it's a vid and paste the link.

fort9erfan
10-27-2016, 02:04 AM
Badass good work man. nothing like restoring something that is full of memories.